Adding additional NSA to existing tank using Dry Rock...cycle question

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a 1yr old established display tank which includes my own NSA structures. I now need to add some additional branches and ledges as I didn't add enough from the start. I will be using left over Dry Rock that I have been storing which is already broken into pieces to be glued together as needed. I previously bleached it, dried it, and stored it. So my question is what is the best path to get this into my tank.

1.) Do I glue some pieces together and then put it in my sump (no lights) and let is start to cycle there for a few weeks and then add it to the Display Tank under lights, or..

2.) Do I build the NSA that I want to add to the display tank and just place it in the tank and let it cycle there under the lights?

3.) If I cycle it in my sump in separate NSA parts for a couple weeks, would I be able to take it out of the sump, dry it for 24hrs, glue the remaining sections together to create the final results, and then stick it in the Display Tank or would that create a problem since I already started cycling it?

4.) What is the best way to avoid or minimize any algae outbreaks, etc?

- has anyone else successfully completed a similar addition to their existing tank?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added about 40 pounds of dry rock to my tank. Just placed it in there where I wanted. No cycle and since my tank is well established, it purpled up rather quickly.

I would glue it as need be, then just put it in the tank.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Homer1475,

That sounds like great news!. That is what I was hoping to hear. I have added individual rocks over the last year one at a time on the bottom with no algae etc and they just purpled up. Just wanted to make sure with a larger addition I would have the same results..

thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully others have the same experience.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as it's dead dry rock, there shouldn't be an issue adding any. Might want to watch phosphates though. As we all know dry rock tends to be loaded with bound up phosphates.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same and added a large dry nsa structure into my running 180g reef without issue. Since I was swapping out I did half my tank first and move the existing rock into sump as to not disturb the balance. Did the second half months later, but ended up leaving all the rock in the sump. I think the key is to leave as much old rock as you can in the sump at least for first couple months so it’ll continue to do the bio filter while your new rock matures in the tank. I have sand which should help seed and establish the new rock with the bacteria on it.

Seymo44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve changed out 1/3 of my rock scape in a little fluval evo and didn’t have a phosphate spike or algae problem. This was using Marco rock that I simply rinsed in used tank water.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only major issues this should cause biologically is a sudden availability of space for algae to colonize and as mentioned above the potential phosphate leeching.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure you’ll get the ugly rock stage as it ages, but more importantly you should get a mini cycle.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back