Adding bleach-Cured Dry rock to established tank?

Sstadler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a significant amount of old live rock from a previous tank that has been sitting in a trash can without water. I had some algae and ich problems in the previous tank so my thought is to do a bleach curing. Then I Am curious if I can just add the rock directly to my established tank.

Here are the steps I have thought of for reference:
1- manually clean rock of dead organics
2- bleach cure in trash can
3- clean rock with rodi and dechlorinator
(maybe) 4 - allow rock to dry
5- add rock to established tank

Has anyone heard or done anything like this? Looking for thoughts, insights, experiences. Thanks in advance!

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a significant amount of old live rock from a previous tank that has been sitting in a trash can without water. I had some algae and ich problems in the previous tank so my thought is to do a bleach curing. Then I Am curious if I can just add the rock directly to my established tank.

Here are the steps I have thought of for reference:
1- manually clean rock of dead organics
2- bleach cure in trash can
3- clean rock with rodi and dechlorinator
(maybe) 4 - allow rock to dry
5- add rock to established tank

Has anyone heard or done anything like this? Looking for thoughts, insights, experiences. Thanks in advance!
I’ve added dry rock to several established tanks, the bacteria from your live rock will do just fine as long as there isn’t a lot of organics on the dry rock. I’ve also bleached a lot of rock by scrubbing all the nasty stuff off and setting them outside to let the sun do the work. It takes longer but it’s a lot less work and just involves some patience. After sitting outside all that’s needed is a rinse in rodi and it can go right in the tank

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bleached my rock in 1 to 10 in a trash can. For a week . Drained it put fresh water in . Couple days. Take rock out let dry. If you smell bleach soak again . When you no longer smell it put it back in the trash can with rodi water and salt mix . Put in heater and powerhead. Cycle it in trash can . When cycle is done . Put your rock in clean saltwater in your tank. Put a couple fish in .

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back