Adding dry rock to existing aquarium

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is dry rock fill a bucket with saltwater mix add rock and microbacter7. let it sit there for a few days pull it out and put it in your tank done it several times zero issues. This is of course assuming the dry rock is dry Rock and has no bacterial organisms living on it.

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it is dry rock fill a bucket with saltwater mix add rock and microbacter7. let it sit there for a few days pull it out and put it in your tank done it several times zero issues. This is of course assuming the dry rock is dry Rock and has no bacterial organisms living on it.
could i use fritz turbo start?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @ScottR said just rinse them thoroughly in RODI and they can go straight in. Soaking in bacteria might assist in some way, but thats anecdotal. So would just dumping another bottle of bacteria in tank...

If the tank is established 6mos you likely dont need to do that.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is correct there's absolutely no need to cycle them but it only helps with your establishment to go ahead and feed them with beneficial bacteria before putting them in doesn't take a long time to do couple days and there's absolutely no harm in doing so

OP
OP
ThatPhillyReefer

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i am curious about your statement that the new rock are structures you have made. what is the rock that you used to make the structures?
i used marco dry rock.

I have a rock structure in my tank now but i want to add more to it so i made a little arch with left over rock

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used marco dry rock.

I have a rock structure in my tank now but i want to add more to it so i made a little arch with left over rock
that should be ok, some rocks have been known to leach out salts when they are subjected to SW including some DIY created rock

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically, cycling would be establishing a colony of bacteria for your nitrogen cycle. If your current system is already set up and completely cycled, dry rock should not throw your cycle off. In fact you’re adding more surface area for bacteria. I liken this to adding in bio bricks, siporax, matrix, etc. I’m sure most people put their media directly into their tanks. I’ve added dry rock in to many tanks. I just made sure I cleaned them with RODI. I never soaked or added in bottled bacteria. In fact, I added in a Tonga branch arch last week or so. My tangs were picking at it today, so I’m sure algae is starting to grow on it and it’s becoming part of my reef. So... do you need to cycle dry rock? No. Should it be completely clean? Yes. Here’s the arch I’ve just added with the mille on top. While it’s not much “dry rock”, I never even thought twice about cycling it.

B73337C9-5C40-426D-8BF3-3ECB01BFFCA6.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back