Adding Figurines to a Tank

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to add a Gundam figure into my tank, is there anything that I need to do to make sure that it isn't adding any unwanted chemicals, etc into the water?

Gundam figure in question, all plastic and no metal parts so I don't think there should be any issues, but just in case, is there a dip that people use when placing plastic objects into a tank long term?

Wave Whisperer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wanting to add a Gundam figure into my tank, is there anything that I need to do to make sure that it isn't adding any unwanted chemicals, etc into the water?

Gundam figure in question, all plastic and no metal parts so I don't think there should be any issues, but just in case, is there a dip that people use when placing plastic objects into a tank long term?
I have no prior experience in placing plastic figurines in reef tanks, however I do at times print my own 3d parts or item to be used in my system (frag racks, skimmer stands, etc.). So far I've tried PLA and PETG with no adverse effects within my aquarium. This topic however is still subjective and debatable as we are unsure if any of these plastics leech unwanted chemicals or substances over a prolonged period of immersion in a saltwater environment. However having done my prior research, and my own personal experience, these 2 materials so far had been going fine for me.

With that being said, for the kit in question, do you know the type of plastics used? I am however more concerned on the paints or glue used in assembling the model kit. It may or may not leech unwanted chemicals in the long term that may affect your inhabitants, especially if you have sensitive corals (i.e acros) that are quite finicky with water quality.

Anyway, helping to bump you along, perhaps others who are more experience will be able to give a definitive answer. I'm following as well, as I have some similar thoughts a while back although it's not figurines that I wanted to place in my reef tank.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no prior experience in placing plastic figurines in reef tanks, however I do at times print my own 3d parts or item to be used in my system (frag racks, skimmer stands, etc.). So far I've tried PLA and PETG with no adverse effects within my aquarium. This topic however is still subjective and debatable as we are unsure if any of these plastics leech unwanted chemicals or substances over a prolonged period of immersion in a saltwater environment. However having done my prior research, and my own personal experience, these 2 materials so far had been going fine for me.

With that being said, for the kit in question, do you know the type of plastics used? I am however more concerned on the paints or glue used in assembling the model kit. It may or may not leech unwanted chemicals in the long term that may affect your inhabitants, especially if you have sensitive corals (i.e acros) that are quite finicky with water quality.

Anyway, helping to bump you along, perhaps others who are more experience will be able to give a definitive answer. I'm following as well, as I have some similar thoughts a while back although it's not figurines that I wanted to place in my reef tank.
The kit itself does come with stickers, but as far as paint or glues there are none that are used during assembly. The plastic parts just kinda snap together for the most part and I wouldn't be placing any of the stickers on.

From what I could tell just from a superficial google search the plastics that are used are Polystyrene, Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene, and Polyethylene.

In my case I can't/wont be housing corals anyway so I'd be more concerned with the fish.

Wave Whisperer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some Googling base on the plastic used. So far based on what I'm reading, we can have the safe assumption that the materials are fine in a reef tank.

Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene -
This basically is ABS material. I do use this as well for 3D printing. Although very seldom, as its a PITA to print and get accurate results.

Excerpt:
"ABS is considered safe for use in reef tanks. However, some say that only white ABS should be used, as colored ABS is poisonous. ABS is also used in many commercial reef products, such as skimmers and powerheads."

Polystyrene -
Excerpt:
"Polystyrene, or styrofoam, is safe for use in a reef tank. It's inert and doesn't leach into water. However, polystyrene can break apart into small pellets that can get into places where they shouldn't."

Polyethylene -
Excerpt:

"In short term, there shouldn't be any significant effects, so both PP and PE can withstand saltwater. But, in long term, there is a chance of diffusion of water into these polymers, carrying salt molecules deep inside them."

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyethylene -
Excerpt:

"In short term, there shouldn't be any significant effects, so both PP and PE can withstand saltwater. But, in long term, there is a chance of diffusion of water into these polymers, carrying salt molecules deep inside them."

So the only risk would be to the figurine itself if I'm reading that correctly?

Wave Whisperer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, yes certain plastics do get brittle and degrade over prolonged exposure in saltwater. But for over how long I wouldn't
know.

I am no expert in this though. This is all just based on a layman's research on the topic. Hopefully the kit is not those Limited Edition Gundams you're eyeing. :grinning-face-with-sweat:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want an algae covered figurine in your tank? (Because that's exactly what it will become...)

Wave Whisperer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want an algae covered figurine in your tank? (Because that's exactly what it will become...)
No offense to OP, but I had the same thought when I replied to this thread. Lol!

Then again, I'm all up with merging 2 hobbies into one. Most importantly, you are happy with your tank OP. Just need to be aware of what @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal has pointed out.

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense to OP, but I had the same thought when I replied to this thread. Lol!

Then again, I'm all up with merging 2 hobbies into one. Most importantly, you are happy with your tank OP. Just need to be aware of what @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal has pointed out.
The only way this looks good is if you make it look decrepit and and abandoned, like it was wrecked and left at the bottom of the sea, imo

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, yes certain plastics do get brittle and degrade over prolonged exposure in saltwater. But for over how long I wouldn't
know.

I am no expert in this though. This is all just based on a layman's research on the topic. Hopefully the kit is not those Limited Edition Gundams you're eyeing. :grinning-face-with-sweat:
It was an on sale one that I got for like $20, so if it does degrade then it’s not that much of a hurting on the wallet haha

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it!! When it gets covered in algae, take it out and clean it.

I think it would look kick butt!
Problem with that approach is, unless you use harsh chemicals, the algae will end up discoloring the plastic even if it's cleaned off.

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More algae for my angel and eventual tang to pick off lol, but yeah as @Steve and his Animals brought up that’s the idea I was going for. Like a sunken casualty of war, so the algae would help with the aged look. And then eventually get some macro algae around it to further the “reclaimed by nature” theme

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem with that approach is, unless you use harsh chemicals, the algae will end up discoloring the plastic even if it's cleaned off.
Which may or may not make it look better “decrepit and abandonded” wise. Worst case it can always be taken out of the tank if the coloring isn’t what I want it to end up looking like

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is where the inspiration kinda came from, it looks great in a freshwater setting so I think it could look just as well in saltwater as well provided that it’s safe for the animals

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is safe for kids to play with (they always put stuff in their pie-holes) then it should be great for your reef. The plastic will act just like an oversized bio-pellet and grow bacteria as it degrades. Might want to run a decent skimmer to get the best nutrient reduction and export on the way?

Some older toys had metal pins for joints, not certain if this would apply to these but if they start to rust you may need to do an ICP test to determine what metals are shedding into the water, if any.

Video Game Fighting GIF by GIPHY Gaming
I always wanted a mermaid myself. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
L

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is safe for kids to play with (they always put stuff in their pie-holes) then it should be great for your reef. The plastic will act just like an oversized bio-pellet and grow bacteria as it degrades. Might want to run a decent skimmer to get the best nutrient reduction and export on the way?

Some older toys had metal pins for joints, not certain if this would apply to these but if they start to rust you may need to do an ICP test to determine what metals are shedding into the water, if any.

Video Game Fighting GIF by GIPHY Gaming
I always wanted a mermaid myself. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
1702361975748.jpeg

It pretty much looks like this before building, so all plastic. The only thing that I could think of that may affect things chemically would be from the adhesive on the stickers but I won’t be putting those on

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1702361975748.jpeg

It pretty much looks like this before building, so all plastic. The only thing that I could think of that may affect things chemically would be from the adhesive on the stickers but I won’t be putting those on
These models are more complicated than I could see looking at the finished product. Pretty neat!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back