Adding Filters to Lower PAR?

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I am running into some issue with my Duncans. I have them in the lowest spot and they just appear to be getting too much light. I am wondering if I can strategically place some window frost film on my glass lid to shade them a little bit. For reference, I run intense lighting on a mixed reef with typically high light corals. But I consolidated my coral to one tank from my softy and LPS tank. Duncans appear to not like it. (this was months ago)

I suppose I should just try it for giggles regardless

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never consider changing any full system components for the benefit of a single coral. Move them off to the sides of the tank so they get less PAR.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done this just using pieces of paper and note cards.
My application was in freshwater tanks where I wanted a section in the middle of the tank kept dark.
It's easy to try out this way and see if you like the results or not before doing anything that takes more effort

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never consider changing any full system components for the benefit of a single coral. Move them off to the sides of the tank so they get less PAR.
I think you’re misinterpreting what I am saying, I am talking about putting a small piece of window frost film over my glass top right above the duncan colonies to filter some of the light aiming directly at them
IMG_2016.jpeg

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re misinterpreting what I am saying, I am talking about putting a small piece of window frost film over my glass top right above the duncan colonies to filter some of the light aiming directly at them
IMG_2016.jpeg
Yes. This will reduce the par on the duncan corals. I would do this.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't be an issue although if may be hard to get just right as i reckon you'll have to take the lid off to take PAR readings?

Anyhow, of you can place the film correctly you will lower the PAR more or less depending on which material you use.

Let us know how you get on! ;)

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't be an issue although if may be hard to get just right as i reckon you'll have to take the lid off to take PAR readings?

Anyhow, of you can place the film correctly you will lower the PAR more or less depending on which material you use.

Let us know how you get on! ;)
Thanks for the reply, I will check PAR tomorrow. Fortunately this is on the main section of the glass lid so i can still open the door to stick the meter in over the Duncans. If all else fails I can give them to some friends who have a more suitable system!!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, I will check PAR tomorrow. Fortunately this is on the main section of the glass lid so i can still open the door to stick the meter in over the Duncans. If all else fails I can give them to some friends who have a more suitable system!!
Give them to me mate ;) best of luck, I'm sure you'll make it work! You got the idea and approach spot on. Now; application!

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I don’t have a photo prior to— the duncans have now significantly increased extension and I believe there is more to go as they adjust
IMG_2038.jpeg

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it's too much light. Mine are up high with no lids getting over 300 par and doing fine
I have a large 21 tails torch nearby that could be bothering it but I do not think that it’s sending sweepers that far and my flow favors the opposite direction. As I said, these corals have been introduced from a lower PAR system so I assume there are some adjustments they are making. I am not going to tear my tank apart to problem solve over duncans when everything else is thriving though

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back