Adding fish to 40 gallon peninsula.

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to hear some of your thoughts and suggestions to this. I have a 40 gallon peninsula Reef aquarium. I only have a sixline wrasse in there now as an unsuspecting crash happened. Though it has now been a little while since this happened and most of my corals have recovered and shown more growth. Though I did lose My Seasons Greetings Monti. Anyway Right now there is only one fish in there and that's a sixline wrasse I already have ways to combat any potential aggression including moving him to a different tank for awhile. I was looking to see if anyone had any good cool fish ideas for this reef. I don't really have much of a budget for this one and I have plenty of room and caves for any cool symbiotic relation ships anyone has. (ex. Clown and Nem, Pistol and goby etc)

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to hear some of your thoughts and suggestions to this. I have a 40 gallon peninsula Reef aquarium. I only have a sixline wrasse in there now as an unsuspecting crash happened. Though it has now been a little while since this happened and most of my corals have recovered and shown more growth. Though I did lose My Seasons Greetings Monti. Anyway Right now there is only one fish in there and that's a sixline wrasse I already have ways to combat any potential aggression including moving him to a different tank for awhile. I was looking to see if anyone had any good cool fish ideas for this reef. I don't really have much of a budget for this one and I have plenty of room and caves for any cool symbiotic relation ships anyone has. (ex. Clown and Nem, Pistol and goby etc)
You can keep only one type of clown with six line as six line irritates fishes alot i.e, tomato clown and maroon clown which r terrors. U could add tangs if there isore place. U can add demselfish,chromis, mandarins fish and other fish who can hold their own. It will be a good idea if u can move your six line wrasse to somewhere else for sometime before adding any peaceful or semi aggresive fishes. Maroons and tomato are terrors so u could regret adding them

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to completely remove the sixline?
This guy will limit any new fish as even when added last I’ve still seen many kill tankmates.
If you want something to still help with pests there are many other Wrasses that will thrive with other wrasses and other tank mates :)

If you absolutely love the Sixline and must have that pattern, look into the Pseudocheilinops ataenia. Here’s an article I wrote a while ago about this species (This is the wrasse I am most passionate about).
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/pseudocheilinops-ataenia-the-wrasse-with-bug-eyes.881/

OP
OP
Cyanohater

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to completely remove the sixline?
This guy will limit any new fish as even when added last I’ve still seen many kill tankmates.
If you want something to still help with pests there are many other Wrasses that will thrive with other wrasses and other tank mates :)

If you absolutely love the Sixline and must have that pattern, look into the Pseudocheilinops ataenia. Here’s an article I wrote a while ago about this species (This is the wrasse I am most passionate about).
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/pseudocheilinops-ataenia-the-wrasse-with-bug-eyes.881/
Yea I don't have a pest problem I just think it's a cool fish darting in and out of the rock work.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I don't have a pest problem I just think it's a cool fish darting in and out of the rock work.
I really recommend rehoming him. I know nobody likes to do this but your tank is small and these guys tend to be more aggressive in smaller tanks.
There are many other wrasses out there that are gorgeous and have the same personality, just a couple of the ones I have owned that are similar in personality to the 666 Wrasse are;
Halichoeres iridis
Pseudocheilinops ataenia
Macropharyngodon bipartitus
Wetmorella tanakai

OP
OP
Cyanohater

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really recommend rehoming him. I know nobody likes to do this but your tank is small and these guys tend to be more aggressive in smaller tanks.
There are many other wrasses out there that are gorgeous and have the same personality, just a couple of the ones I have owned that are similar in personality to the 666 Wrasse are;
Halichoeres iridis
Pseudocheilinops ataenia
Wetmorella tanakai
Tysm I'll take him up to my LFS.

OP
OP
Cyanohater

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoeres iridis
Pseudocheilinops ataenia
Wetmorella tanakai
are these species of wrasse that would be good for this aquarium?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are these species of wrasse that would be good for this aquarium?
Three are, the Iridis can get larger than the others but isn’t as active, the bipartitus is less likely to do well long term though.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with pink streaks (I often call them pinkies). In the article I mentioned above, it shows my trio - although I think I’m down to 2. They’re incredibly beautiful fish and their personalities are huge for their size. Mine enjoy playing peekaboo as seen in this photo :)
4E8FC7C2-3197-4786-9223-1D025181B46E.jpeg

OP
OP
Cyanohater

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: and my lfs has told me that it is hard to say without trying. says each fish has its own temperaments. what do we think? I have heard this before. should I maybe just try and see? I will have a tank ready aside empty to put him I to if he is aggressive.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: and my lfs has told me that it is hard to say without trying. says each fish has its own temperaments. what do we think? I have heard this before. should I maybe just try and see? I will have a tank ready aside empty to put him I to if he is aggressive.
I wouldn’t try it personally after seeing how many have been nasty - a reputation isn’t the minority, I think I’ve had 10 personal ones and out of those 10, 2-3 were peaceful long term.

OP
OP
Cyanohater

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t try it personally after seeing how many have been nasty - a reputation isn’t the minority, I think I’ve had 10 personal ones and out of those 10, 2-3 were peaceful long term.
okay. it's just a big inconvenience to have to remove him and find somewhere for him. I live 1hr and 40 minutes from the closest reef fish store. (some stores nearer sell some saltwater but their quality isn't good) and tbh kind of like him.

OP
OP
Cyanohater

Cyanohater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update I talked to my lfs, they said that it will probably be okay. I have added the fish (2clowns and a yellow watchman) and everyone is playing fine. The Wrasse likes to swim with the clowns sometimes and no one has even nipped each other.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back