Adding gem tang to the mix?

AntimatterBlue

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 13, 2022
Messages
25
Reaction score
30
Location
cypress
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contemplating adding a new fish to the mix and would like feedback. Want to add a 3-4” gem tang to the group. Currently I have a 3” clown, 2” orange shoulder, and 2.5” Kole eye tangs. Tank is 112gal 5’ wide tank. Plan on upgrading to a 250gal in a few years.

Thoughts?

75245497258__E3B19412-0AF1-42A1-82D7-D080390B5138.jpeg
 
I also like the Gems but I have heard that they don’t play well with others and that they like to eat corals?

If you get one it might work out but you will have to upgrade and maybe lose some of the other fish
 
Contemplating adding a new fish to the mix and would like feedback. Want to add a 3-4” gem tang to the group. Currently I have a 3” clown, 2” orange shoulder, and 2.5” Kole eye tangs. Tank is 112gal 5’ wide tank. Plan on upgrading to a 250gal in a few years.

Thoughts?

75245497258__E3B19412-0AF1-42A1-82D7-D080390B5138.jpeg
Clown fish or clown tang?
 
Contemplating adding a new fish to the mix and would like feedback. Want to add a 3-4” gem tang to the group. Currently I have a 3” clown, 2” orange shoulder, and 2.5” Kole eye tangs. Tank is 112gal 5’ wide tank. Plan on upgrading to a 250gal in a few years.

Thoughts?

75245497258__E3B19412-0AF1-42A1-82D7-D080390B5138.jpeg
Gem tang will be a great fit to the mix, however the concern is always with other tangs present, how they will accept the new tang. Kole eye would be my concern but I expect up front harassment opposed to damage. Adding fish with lights out especially when room is dark always helps
 
Clown tangs can be nasty too but gems can usually hold their own. I would suggest an acclimation box.

I added a gem after a yellow and blue tang and it got through the harassment and they all live in harmony now. Gems don’t eat corals, definitely an algae eater
 
Last edited:

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new