Adding Marinepure Ceramics?

Fate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 50g has been up and running for about 3 months now. I wanted to up my biological filtration so I bought some of those Marinepure Cermic blocks. If I add them all in my sump at once will it cause a mini cycle? Or is it best to add them in slowly?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second the rinsing a few times in water from when you do a water change.
Let them soak for a day or so and add them to the sump one every week or so.
How many blocks did you got for your 50G?

OP
OP
Fate

Fate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the 1/2 cubic feet but more than likely won't use them all. I was going to rinse them pretty good but I'm curious as to why soaking for a few days? Do they leach anything?

I was going to throw in some Microbacter7 just in case. Too much money invested in coral to play with fire

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Fate

Fate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So evidence of aluminium in the blocks but not at a high enough level to damage coral? I know many reefers that use it and never had any problems. If it does leach is 2 days of soaking really doing anything?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was using them I soaked them for a month in a trash can with old tank water and a few pieces of live rock out the sump with a pump and I used detox on them to bind any metals and removed it with a GAC reactor.
I sold all three of the blocks 8 months later to a friend for a 1200 gallon system.
It was pulling all my No3 out the tank to 0.0. and that ain't good.

OP
OP
Fate

Fate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just worried adding them all at once to the sump would cause a mini cycle

OP
OP
Fate

Fate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wont cycle from adding something that isn't organic that would need to be broken down through an ammonia nitrate cycle.

That's exactly what I thought Jason till a few others folks told me otherwise. Thanks for clarifying

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree. You can add all and as many as you want at one time. If you want them to consume ammonia and nitrite. Put them where water flows through them. If you want them to consume nitrate put them in a stagnant area.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was using them I soaked them for a month in a trash can with old tank water and a few pieces of live rock out the sump with a pump and I used detox on them to bind any metals and removed it with a GAC reactor.
I sold all three of the blocks 8 months later to a friend for a 1200 gallon system.
It was pulling all my No3 out the tank to 0.0. and that ain't good.
I'm sorry, newbie question. Why are 0 nitrates bad?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added two of the 4x4x8 blocks to the sump of my 155 gallon/52 gallon sump back in Jan. Agree with the above. They have no organic matter and can't create an ammonia spike. I actually removed the small amount of live rock that was in my sump when I added them.

I have not seen the nitrate reduction claimed by the manufacturer. I had been carbon dosing with nitrates running about 2-4. I discontinued carbon dosing a few weeks after placing the blocks and my nitrates rose to 12 over about 4 weeks and have been stable there since. I was going to resume carbon dosing but my tank is so happy I've still not restarted. I was hoping to avoid carbon dosing since I've had a lot of problems with first bacterial blooms on rocks/plumbing and then cyano when I changed from vinegar to NoPox.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, newbie question. Why are 0 nitrates bad?

Corals as well bacteria need nitrates to be healthy.
Without enough of them you will starve both and with a lack of bacteria you create a SULNS.

OP
OP
Fate

Fate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would the ceramic blocks reduce Nitrates?

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blocks will not do anything to reduce any nutrients. They are purely a surface area to allow bacteria to grow. It is very good at doing that.

Then it depends on the type of bacteria on what it consumes. All consume some type of carbon, some type of nitrate, and some type of phosphorous. Then various other elements.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/how-much-aluminum-will-it-leach-lets-guess.247034/

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blocks will not do anything to reduce any nutrients. They are purely a surface area to allow bacteria to grow. It is very good at doing that.

Then it depends on the type of bacteria on what it consumes. All consume some type of carbon, some type of nitrate, and some type of phosphorous. Then various other elements.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/how-much-aluminum-will-it-leach-lets-guess.247034/

This is correct. MarinePure is one of my favorite products. I have two blocks in a 275 system and they prevent me from having to fill up my display and sump with a bunch of LR with my large bioload.

It's incorrect to think they will reduce Nitrates, MarinePure does not claim that it does.

What it does do is reduce the nitrates produce. There is a difference.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back