Adding Media Reactors and possibly inline frag tank - Separate Pumps or Manifold?

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a GAC reactor running off a MJ600 right now, which is too loud, but I want to add another reactor for GFO, and possibly a small frag tank tied to my system. Would setting up a manifold to run water to the reactors and my frag tank off my main return be smart, or would it be wiser to run a second pump? My return is a DC pump currently at around 50%, so I can handle more flow.

In my eyes, the Pros of a manifold are less pumps in the sump, probably less electrical usage. Cheaper overall as manifolds are much less than a second DC pump. I need a silent pump, so AC is probably out of the question.

Pros of second pump: while more expensive, it puts less strain on the main return. Easier to turn off one system while leaving other running. Extra redundancy? If return fails, I can reroute to act as return (I have a backup return just in case, but its an AC pump that's a little too loud for me.)

I'd like to see what others have to say on this matter!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a siphon from the dt that feeds the reactor which empties into the sump. Be careful to insure the siphon cannot flood your sump and drain the tank, but this method uses no additional electricity and makes moving the canister to refill pretty simple.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate manifolds. Every little change affects every other thing on there. IMO, these are things that sound better than they really are. I don't know too many people who love them.

I have dedicated return pumps to all tanks and fuges. If I need to run a media reactor, I just a a MJ, or the like, for the day or two that I need it.

OP
OP
Nburg's Reef

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate manifolds. Every little change affects every other thing on there. IMO, these are things that sound better than they really are. I don't know too many people who love them.

I have dedicated return pumps to all tanks and fuges. If I need to run a media reactor, I just a a MJ, or the like, for the day or two that I need it.
Good point, keeping my return from gurgling is enough, adding to that would be super annoying... May just get a cheaper DC pump then.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back