Adding more anthias

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering adding a few anthias to my existing 6 lyretail harem in my 150g. I'd ideally like to add another species of anthias, possibly evansi, but if that is too risky, I wouldn't mind adding more lyretails. The six current lyretails all get along very well and have been together for 1.5 years. Is this a good idea adding anthias to an existing harem?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Probably" Adding a different species is a better choice than adding more lyretails, less risk of fish dying establishing a new pecking order. There is always some risk whenever adding any fish to an established system so aquarists always need ot be ready to rehome.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a different species as stated above. Once lyretails are in harmony, which is hard enough, they can be brutal to newcomers of their own kind. Despite being small fish, they do have teeth and can really do some damage if they feel incline to do so.

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that's not what I was expecting. That being said, do you think I'd be better off with a more peaceful species like evansi/sunburst or go for a species that could probably hold their own a little better like a bimac/bartletts?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A species that can push back would be preferred in my opinion. Lyretails can literally be relentless.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back