Adding more flow, which combo do you like?

Which combo do you like?

• Total voters

cdare99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an rsr 450 and currently have one mp40 brand new and one marineland wavemaker/pump(you can use it as either one). The Marineland moves a decent amount of water and is basically silent but has no distribution of water flow. Do you think another mp40/10 in combination with the other mp40 would be good? Or would a gyre be a good combination with the mp40. Also, I don't have a reef link so customization is no further than the remote lets you I might have to get one. Has anyone used the wave mode you can create with vortechs I was thinking about doing that but I've never really heard of anyone using it? And I know gyres give good flow I had one but sold it because the glass was too thick. Right now I'm lps only but plan on doing a little sps eventually.
Or does someone have other wavemaker suggestions that are good?

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have had my share of trying different powerheads and have ended up with Ecotech vortechs ... it’s either that or the the gyres but those are suited for more volume . My gyre blew sand all over the place even on the lowest setting . Your tank bare bottom? Gyres work pretty well for BB I hear.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do 2 mp40’s facing each other to start. Then add either mp10’s to the back or gyres near the top for really good surface agitation and chaotic flow.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Take a look at using gyres vertically before you decide.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RSR 425xl- Two WAV pumps on the back corners point toward opposite front corners and a Gyre mounted vertically in a back corner. I have sand but managed to get the settings such that I have awesome flow with no sand blowing around.

OP
OP
C

cdare99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre placed verticle seems like a good idea to me, might give that a try. I have a sand bed with some crushed coral on top so it can handle some movement but not alot alot. I wish I could put the wavemakers on the back but I'm too close to the wall for the mp40 to fit an mp10 might fit though. Also putting them on the back window forward seem like high powers would not be an option but I've never done it so I don't know. Still, no one has an opinion about vortechs wave function?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My best effect was twin ecotech units facing each other

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of my gyre and mp10. Gyre died on me after 3 years of use and the mp10 wetside ceramic shaft kept cracking. When you spend that much on pumps, they need to be reliable. Switched to 2 Tunze 6055s controlled with the 7097. I love the ability to customize my flow pattern and their is no limit to what you can program. Been running this way for 4 months now and no complaints.

Back