Adding new black silicon glue outside

Azurenoace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i want to add new black silicon sealant on every outside corner of my tank, is it have any effect if the black silicone sealant make contact with some my cured clear silicon sealant?

IMG_20220121_172946.jpg

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is purely for aesthetics then sure, go ahead, just tape it up and be careful. If you are doing this for structural integrity then don't bother. The only way its going to do anything is if you drain the tank, cut the glass panels apart, scrape off all the silicone (I mean all of it, no residue at all), and then rebuild the tank. Some people scrape out 'most' of the silicone and squirt more in the gap without taking the whole thing apart but I personally feel this is pretty inadequate when going through the trouble of a tank reseal. Hopefully this is helpful.

OP
OP
Azurenoace

Azurenoace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is purely for aesthetics then sure, go ahead, just tape it up and be careful. If you are doing this for structural integrity then don't bother. The only way its going to do anything is if you drain the tank, cut the glass panels apart, scrape off all the silicone (I mean all of it, no residue at all), and then rebuild the tank. Some people scrape out 'most' of the silicone and squirt more in the gap without taking the whole thing apart but I personally feel this is pretty inadequate when going through the trouble of a tank reseal. Hopefully this is helpful.
Thanks for answering, i only added the outside, purely for aesthetic

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back