Adding new fish to established "family"

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so I've had the same 5 fish in my reef for about a year and a half now. I've wanted to add someone else to the family but it seems anytime I try the others will bully until they die. They arnt particularly aggressive fish, I feel like they just don't want anyone else moving in. I've got a yellow tang, black and white clown, 6 line wrasse, citron goby, and royal gramma. Any suggestions on how to make this work or should I just accept that new fish is a bad idea?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you want to add - your gramma and especially your sixline won't want any wrasse or dottyback shaped fish added -- both are highly likely to barriage and kill new fish of that shape.

The yellow tang isn't likely to accept more tangs being that it's used to being the "only tang".

How big is the tank?

I'd say you're limited but it MAY be possible with social acclimation box. I would rehome the sixline that's a pinnacle of aggression later if not already.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things that have worked for me in the past:

- change up the scape. If you disrupt all the territories, there's a chance the aggressive fish will be too busy staking new claims to pick on someone new.

- add multiple fish. This will spread out the aggression or have it cease to exist almost entirely depending on your fish.

- have the newcomer be particularly large. The size difference might keep the bullies at bay.

What type of fish are you attempting to add? Some fish are bigger targets than others in my tank. Maybe you need to try steering towards something else?

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 2 dartfish and a damsel a few months ago. The damsel was dead within a day from the six line. They all build the dartfish until they starved. It was impossible to catch then without interupting the entire reef. It's a 55 gallon. I'm really to add a jawfish, I'm thinking size may play a big role in it, as all my fish are at least 3" or so. I'm thinking maybe a good 3" to 4" jawfish. Thoughts?

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a bully (six-line) in the tank, I would not recommend a jawfish. Jawfish take a few days exploring the tank finding their preferred cave/burrow. Even once established , jawfish use shells as doors to protect their burrow. They do not thrive in tanks with aggressive fish. I feel a bully fish would put a lot of stress on a jawfish.
If the six line killed a damsel, I would get a fish trap and catch it. From the sound of it the six line us taking away your enjoyment of your tank. As 4FordFamily mentioned, I would rehome the sixline.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks guys. Didn't realize aggressive six lines were such a common thing.
Oh yes and they just get worse with age

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK thanks guys. Didn't realize aggressive six lines were such a common thing.
Six lines are a devil fish and they are relentless. I added bigger wrasses to my tank to keep him occupied until I was finally able to sump him

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back