Adding rock to established tank

Durangoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like my tank needs more rock to accomplish a better Aqua scape for more corals. But if I add dry reef rock will I have any issues? Also could I get opinions on where to put the new rock. And or corals and there locations on my current setup.

A9D68CA7-6BF2-4253-AC2B-0FA44F199D41.jpeg

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I am constantly adding or taking out rubble rock around my tank to accommodate frags. The only downside I could see is it could affect your flow and maybe shade corals stressing them out.
It doesn’t look like you have any now so you’re fine. I like the arch you have going there and I think some encrusting SPS or hammers growing off it would look good. There’s a lot of potential. But honestly in my opinion I don’t think you need anymore rock, it looks great as it is and you have plenty of room for coral.

vsolovyev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you will have issues adding dry rock, you will want to either buy live rock, or cycle the dead rock in a separate container. Your rock will have to go through the curing process, which will spike ammonia and nitrite from the bacteria building up and dieing from the curing processes.

Terry Le

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you will have issues adding dry rock, you will want to either buy live rock, or cycle the dead rock in a separate container. Your rock will have to go through the curing process, which will spike ammonia and nitrite from the bacteria building up and dieing from the curing processes.
I did it for years. There are nothing on the dry rocks to have issues

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @vsolovyev because your rock looks fairly new so I'm not sure that your tank can handle curing the new rock.

but in an established tank with lots of good live rock I wouldn't think twice about adding a few dry rocks here and there.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While you had to cure specialty rocks like Pukani back in the day to get dead organics out of it, this isn't the case with modern 'reef saver' mined limestone, which is 99% of 'dry rock' today. There's nothing organic within it to contaminate the tank, its just calcium carbonite, the same things aragonite is made of.

OP Just rinse it off thoroughly in RODI and it can be added straight to the tank. As long as the tank is cycled, it wont affect anything.

Last edited:

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also might want to consider aquascaping your new rock outside of the tank, then joining it together with a reef mortar or superglue before adding new structures.

Bwing602

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat-my existing tank has longtime live rock in it, but I want to add some more rocks for "nooks and crannies" as well as to place frags on; is stacking dry on top of live a no-no for any reason? And, am I right in thinking that eventually the base rock will become live over time? What I just got is 10 lbs of CaribSea base rock.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat-my existing tank has longtime live rock in it, but I want to add some more rocks for "nooks and crannies" as well as to place frags on; is stacking dry on top of live a no-no for any reason? And, am I right in thinking that eventually the base rock will become live over time? What I just got is 10 lbs of CaribSea base rock.
Yup your correct, just rinse the dry rock in RODI well because alot of dust comes off of it initially

OrlandoAIOReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same for aragonite rock?

Troyer15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added dry rock to established tanks before and it definitely caused mini cycles. Nothing major but algae blooms and ticked off corals. If I ever do it again, I will add established rock.

Michael's Marine Park

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this issue a few months ago. I wanted to add back rock I had removed from the tank 6 months prior. I got around the cycle issue by bleach curing the rock to kill the dead organisms. Then I let it dechlorinate for a week and then I cycled the rock in a bucket for another week before adding it to my tank. I dosed the cycling bucket with ammonia and microbacter. This worked very well and you can find a BRS video on the process.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Yes you will have issues adding dry rock, you will want to either buy live rock, or cycle the dead rock in a separate container. Your rock will have to go through the curing process, which will spike ammonia and nitrite from the bacteria building up and dieing from the curing processes-

that is incorrect and does not happen in reefing when inputting dry rock. not any of it.

what happens is phosphate exchange variables that differ tank to tank, unimpactful to the cycle or the systemic bacteria, and uglies phase as bright reflective non cured rock becomes new vital space for algae and invaders. no cycling issues happen in any reef by adding dry base rock, cured or uncured.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this issue a few months ago. I wanted to add back rock I had removed from the tank 6 months prior. I got around the cycle issue by bleach curing the rock to kill the dead organisms. Then I let it dechlorinate for a week and then I cycled the rock in a bucket for another week before adding it to my tank. I dosed the cycling bucket with ammonia and microbacter. This worked very well and you can find a BRS video on the process.
I want to add a small old rock too thats never been used. It the really pretty purple colored type. Its just a small piece I should have bleach cured it with my old used rock that is getting ready to go in frag tank but I didnt think of it at the time.

What should I do now? Could I just wash it off and add to my frag tank now for cycling then remove it and add to my main display? Or will that throw off the balance in the frag tank when I remove it? Or if i just add to main display will that throw it off?

How did you get it to cycle in one week? I know there is a brs bleach cure video is there another one on adding rock to an established tank?

Back