Adding rock

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I was wondering what’s better to do and how to add rock because in my tank. I want to hide the pipe on the left side so I was gonna break rock up and form a small walk around it that I also could put corals on down the road. My question is I have what was live rock when I got the tank it’s been out of water for some time now what would be better adding that or buying a bag of rubble dry rock? And if there is a process please explain :)

A3061430-AA90-4A05-80CF-FABE6891452F.jpeg

trio91

NJRC (New Jersey Reefers Club)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can clean the old rock, then I would suggest using it to save you some money...you can just power wash if you want being that it's no longer live or give it an acid bath of some kind if you are daring enough.

if you're looking for a fresh start you could get some dry rock and just smash it up to form some unique pieces that can be epox'd together....or maybe try n glue a coral to the pipes like GSP

OP
OP
Austin R

Austin R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're adding it to that existing tank, ur gonna wanna cure the rock 1st before it goes in.
How do I cure rock is it like putting it in a bucket with water from a water change and letting it go for a couple weeks?

Jlentz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you if I used dry rock would I have to do the same process?

It depends.
Some dry rock can be put right in. Some, pukani in particular, can contain so much dead stuff that it will crash your tank.

I think I’ve heard Marcos rock is super clean. I’ve only really got experience with pukani. It’s nasty as hell inside.

Back