Adding sand to 40breeder...

kristofferzen

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
77
Reaction score
1
Location
Montgomery County
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder, mixed with fish and corals. I also have a 11 gallon sump. My sand bed is reeflakes sand about 50 lbs. I was wondering how I could go about adding sand without causing my phosphates/silicates/etc to skyrocket…or to not cause a die off of bacteria from the existing sand. Any suggestions? I wanted to add about 30 more lbs of sand a deeper sand bed.

Thanks!
 
Use dry sand. Rinse it profusely in RO water until the water runs clear. Then shoot it via pvc directly to the bottom of the tank on top of the existing layer. Do not add more than 1/2 inch at a time. Give it a week between additions so the creatures have time to colonize the newly added top layer.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new