Adding these fish - will it work? Best approach?

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently experienced some fish loss. It appears I had a bout of flukes (showed up as black ich on one of my tangs). In the process of treating with PraziPro and seeing significant improvement, so that’s good.

Id like to eventually replace the fish I lost but am concerned about the unique nature of these losses. Specifically:

1. I had a bonded pair of Genicanthus Bellus. The female died. Large male present and doing well.

2. I had a trio of Lyretail anthias. The male died. Two females present and doing well.

My questions:

1. Can I eventually replace the female Bellus with a new female? Will the male accept a new female?

2. Can I eventually replace the male Anthias with a new male? How will that go with the two females I currently have?

3. I have an acclimation box and would obviously use it when adding these fish. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently experienced some fish loss. It appears I had a bout of flukes (showed up as black ich on one of my tangs). In the process of treating with PraziPro and seeing significant improvement, so that’s good.

Id like to eventually replace the fish I lost but am concerned about the unique nature of these losses. Specifically:

1. I had a bonded pair of Genicanthus Bellus. The female died. Large male present and doing well.

2. I had a trio of Lyretail anthias. The male died. Two females present and doing well.

My questions:

1. Can I eventually replace the female Bellus with a new female? Will the male accept a new female?

2. Can I eventually replace the male Anthias with a new male? How will that go with the two females I currently have?

3. I have an acclimation box and would obviously use it when adding these fish. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!
First off, one of your current anthias will become a male and you’ll want to replace the old male with a new, young female. And the Bellus, as long as you add a young female that is 100% female and not transitioning, you should be alright.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, one of your current anthias will become a male and you’ll want to replace the old male with a new, young female. And the Bellus, as long as you add a young female that is 100% female and not transitioning, you should be alright.
Thanks @i cant think! Do you know how quickly I can anticipate the female anthias becoming a male? Is it possible to add a new male before that happens? Or is it better to just wait for the transition?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @i cant think! Do you know how quickly I can anticipate the female anthias becoming a male? Is it possible to add a new male before that happens? Or is it better to just wait for the transition?
It’s best waiting for the transition to occur IME. If you add a male in then you risk having an unaccepted male with a transitioning anthia.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My questions:

Thanks!
You don't have to worry about the anthias. The larger female will change sex quickly, in 1-2 weeks, that is if she is matured and has plenty of food. I would add a few more females. Make sure you feed them multiple time, 4+ a day. Automated feeding is best. They are not picky; they eat pellets with gusto.
I had G. watanabei. Adding a female should be no problem, just don't add a male. Singleton male Genicanthus tend to lose his coloration. Maybe you can use a mirror on the tank once or twice a week to stimulate him and he will keep his male color.
WatanabeiFemale2016051503.jpg
WatanabeiMale2016051501.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never like Lyetail anthias. I feed my tank a lot. They has a fairly short life in my tank. Often, the male would spend all his time chasing and breeding with the females and he would get thin and died. The next female change sex and it happened all over again. In 3-4 years all my anthias died one by one. Not the smallest like everybody else's experiences, but the male always died in my tank after about been the king of the school for 6 months or so.
I got a school of 6; after replaced with 2 more, I decided to not replace them. The last one take about 1 year to died. Without the females, he is dull in colors, but still has his spots on the pectoralist fins, so I know he continue to be male, not reverted back to female.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back