Adding UV from the beginning - good idea?

bsdubois00

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 6, 2025
Messages
201
Reaction score
217
Location
Houston, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been reading up on UV Sterilizers and curious the consensus (if there is one):

Is there a negative to adding a UV early on (post cycling) and running it on a regular basis (either on a timer or 24/7)?

Thanks!
 
A few years ago brs did an experiment where they started 4 tanks, trying to answer this exact question. I don’t remember all the results, but do remember the UV didn’t stop the uglies, it just changed the type. For example new tank without uv saw a lot of bacterial slimes, cloudy water for a bit, etc. new tank with uv just had a TON of hair algae.

Everyone has their opinions on BRS, but I remember this video feeling unbiased. It did not push me towards wanting to buy any products.
 
I would not use a UV unless I had fish that were known to be very disease prone.

I do not think killing bacteria in the water is desirable.
 
Yes and no, while you prevent some stuff you also kill every micro organism suspended in the water that gets sucked, you will fight a more sterile environment constantly.
Imo the benefits don't outweigh the negatives, uv is for when you need it only.
You do you, but keep in mind that the ocean is a ferocious place, it's a constant battle between living things, not sunshine and rainbows.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new