Adding Water to a Sump

kstradtman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my first sump and I need to add more water to it. How do I maintain salinity? My LFS water is 1.026 SG, but my main display is 1.024 SG. Do I dilute the jug with ro water until its 1.024? I'm overthinking this, I know but I want to make sure everything goes smoothly.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my first sump and I need to add more water to it. How do I maintain salinity? My LFS water is 1.026 SG, but my main display is 1.024 SG. Do I dilute the jug with ro water until its 1.024? I'm overthinking this, I know but I want to make sure everything goes smoothly.
You should probably try to raise your tank salinity to 1.025-1.026.

OP
OP
K

kstradtman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just dilute it with ro water until you get to the value you want

Why isn’t your value 1.025?

Are you using a refractor?
Im using a Hanna salinity monitor. I want it at 1.025 but I don’t want to increase it overnight.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using a Hanna salinity monitor. I want it at 1.025 but I don’t want to increase it overnight.
How big is your tank? And how much water will you be adding? An increase from 1.024 to 1.025 is fine "overnight". But I suspect you'll be adding only a small percentage of the overall system volume, so using the 1.026 will probably be fine (pending the information I asked about above...)

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, 1.026 is what natural sea water measures. That should be your goal. I would not dilute what you are buying. I would add it "as is" a little at a time until you raise your display tank to the same level.

You did not mention what size tank you have, but based on the assumption that you are buying pre-made water, I am going to assume it is a small tank.

Do smaller water changes, say 5%, and use the store made water as it is for replacement. It wont take long to balance the system. then you won't have to worry about it.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are adding water due to evaporation, top off with RO water.
You can raise salinity easily and slowly by adding saltwater as top off water over the course of a few days with no worries.
Once at your target salinity start topping off with RO water again.
Remember. You have to know WHY you are adding water.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are adding water due to evaporation, top off with RO water.
You can raise salinity easily and slowly by adding saltwater as top off water over the course of a few days with no worries.
Once at your target salinity start topping off with RO water again.
Remember. You have to know WHY you are adding water.

this is how I raised my salinity in my 180g tank. I mixed up saltwater to like 1.04 and used it in the ATO. About 10g raised my system from 1.017 to 1.025

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drew a line in my sump, so when I do water changes or whatever, I know I need to fill the sump back up to that line.

Once the sump is filled up to the line, then the ATO keeps it at the same water level. The ATO pulls rodi water from a 5 gallon tank just beside the sump

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back