Adding water volume no sump no drill

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you use a dose pump to move water from your tank to say a different tank or plastic tote full of rock maybe with a power head and heater to keep it moving and up to temp and then pump it back to the tank for extra water volume and bio filtration just a thought I know everyone will say just get a bigger tank or I should have started bigger than a20 cube I agree at the time I was gung ho on having the reef tank and simply couldn't afford to do what I wanted to spend like 600 on the whole setup not 600 on just lights any who if like hear y'all's thoughts

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First problem I see is not much movement from just a dosing pump.

This is how most people handle a sump and no drilling.

Screenshot_20240115_092431_Chrome.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Could you use a dose pump to move water from your tank to say a different tank or plastic tote full of rock maybe with a power head and heater to keep it moving and up to temp and then pump it back to the tank for extra water volume and bio filtration just a thought I know everyone will say just get a bigger tank or I should have started bigger than a20 cube I agree at the time I was gung ho on having the reef tank and simply couldn't afford to do what I wanted to spend like 600 on the whole setup not 600 on just lights any who if like hear y'all's thoughts
Getting 2 different ( or even the same brand, model) pumps sync'd up is nearly impossible

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a good idea but how will you balance water in to water out? Might have some overflow problems.

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting 2 different ( or even the same brand, model) pumps sync'd up is nearly impossible
I've never messed with one I know they use them for the auto water change with the apex or Neptune or whatever so I just didn't know how that worked exactly in my mind it's the same as auto water change but not clean water

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't the water move at a snails pace with a dosing pump? I don't see it being practical with the doser that I have and that tiny tube.... Are there larger dosers?

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a good idea but how will you balance water in to water out? Might have some overflow problems.
Yeah that's what worries me I know some people use dos pumps with the apex for awc it sounds similar in my head but it may not be practicall or worth while only have a 20 gallon tank another 10 or 20 would be nice

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've never messed with one I know they use them for the auto water change with the apex or Neptune or whatever so I just didn't know how that worked exactly in my mind it's the same as auto water change but not clean water
What you are trying to do is move water from the display tank using a pump to a sump, and then a different pump to move it back?
If I'm wrong about this, I'm not seeing your question, but if I am right, then it's nearly impossible to get the 2 pumps working exactly the same amount.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Two pumps is a bad idea. If they get out of sync even a little, one tank will gradually fill up more and more until it overflows. Also, dosing pumps are very tiny, and will thus move very little water at a time.

Just have two small tanks.

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are trying to do is move water from the display tank using a pump to a sump, and then a different pump to move it back?
If I'm wrong about this, I'm not seeing your question, but if I am right, then it's nearly impossible to get the 2 pumps working exactly the same amount.
Yes ultimately to add a sump with out drilling it modifying to just slowly move water from my aio to a"sump"and then back I can see all the potential issues and my mind says it probably won't work but in theory it could do I was just seeing if any one had ever attempted such a thing with success

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't the water move at a snails pace with a dosing pump? I don't see it being practical with the doser that I have and that tiny tube.... Are there larger dosers?
I found on brs that will do a liter per minute it would cost over 500 for the pair I think I spent 6 on the tank light sand and rock not very cost effective lol

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Yes ultimately to add a sump with out drilling it modifying to just slowly move water from my aio to a"sump"and then back I can see all the potential issues and my mind says it probably won't work but in theory it could do I was just seeing if any one had ever attempted such a thing with success
I've tried this ( using gate valves and same pumps) and many others have tried it and I have never seen anyone make it work.
You may get them matched evenly for a short while, but they will not stay that way.
Then there is the issue of the amount of flow.

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried this ( using gate valves and same pumps) and many others have tried it and I have never seen anyone make it work.
You may get them matched evenly for a short while, but they will not stay that way.
Then there is the issue of the amount of flow.
Never hurts to ask I guess thanks for the In put I figured this was the case I was hoping some one would be like oh ya I did that one time but you know

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kamoar has an auto water change pump. I have never used that particular one, but I have their dosers and I like them.

Alfer tuned, any variation in amount pumped could be negligible and corrected by scooping some water one direction or the other weekly. Or just during your regular maintenance.

There would be a ceiling for how much turnover you could get out of the pump too.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You always pump one way and let gravity work in the other direction. So either a sump or a tank above the display. You will not gain any benefit of “more water volume” if the water moving between the systems is not at a significant exchange rate.

It sounds like you are new to reefing. Spend time and money on learning before tryin to reinvent the wheel. If this means you want a bigger tank, then get a bigger tank. Using twine and duct tape to get a ”bigger tank” is going to case you More grief than good.

OP
OP
S

smarcuscofer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the thoughts and input I want to drill and add sump but I would have to completely disassemble the tank and build a new stand and re configure my smart awc system that I just installed maybe the awc will provide the stability I'm after once it gets settled in

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kamoar has an auto water change pump. I have never used that particular one, but I have their dosers and I like them.

Alfer tuned, any variation in amount pumped could be negligible and corrected by scooping some water one direction or the other weekly. Or just during your regular maintenance.

There would be a ceiling for how much turnover you could get out of the pump too.
No, it will not work. It is not enough volume to be worthwhile and will always be a flood waiting to happen unless limit switches are used as fail-safes. This entire conversation is silly based on the volume of water movement we are talking about as opposed to what would actually be needed.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it will not work. It is not enough volume to be worthwhile and will always be a flood waiting to happen unless limit switches are used as fail-safes. This entire conversation is silly based on the volume of water movement we are talking about as opposed to what would actually be needed.
Yeah, just saw your other post. You are correct.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back