adding wrasse

emmabrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys
my new 180 gallon tank has finished it cycle and everything is looking good
I added 2 clowns in th cycle and I am ready to add some non aggressive fish be a few others get added
I am looking to add a few wrasse and need some help

here are the ones I like and would like to add ( I dont need all of them)
1- Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse
2- Lineatus Fairy Wrasse
3- Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse
4 - Mystery Wrasse
5 - Six Line Wrasse
6 - RED SEA CLEANER WRASSE

so my questions are
1- with the fairy wrasses is it better to add them all at 1 time - if thats the case I can't get them all
2- can I add fairy wars at different times
3- would a Mystery get along with fairy wrasse or is it to aggressive
4 - I know the 6 line is not good fish with other wraps but what if it is added last

if the Mystery wrasse will work with the fairy wrasse I can add him the same time as the fairy wrasse as my LFS has one and has the pintail and a golden Rhomboidalis

thanks

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not risk those beautiful fairy’s with a mystery and probably not a sixline. 180g is good amount of room but do you really want to come home one day and find your prized fairy beat up randomly by a $20 sixline?

As far as adding multiple fairy’s I would just use an acclimation box

If you want something for pests then a yellow coris or leopard wrasse.. etc will get that job done.

OP
OP
E

emmabrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys
thanks for your input
so your saying I dont need to add all the fairy wrasse at the same time
and I rather have the fairy then the mystery or six line so they are out I guess
thanks

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the six line they become a problem. You can do them in groups/batches and faster you add them the better before they get established. Rhomboid and lineatus are closely related and that could be tricky so add rhomboid first. Mystery wrasse can be destructive with cuc

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys
I added 2 clowns in th cycle and I am ready to add some non aggressive fish be a few others get added

2- Lineatus Fairy Wrasse
4 - Mystery Wrasse
5 - Six Line Wrasse

so my questions are
1- with the fairy wrasses is it better to add them all at 1 time - if thats the case I can't get them all
4 - I know the 6 line is not good fish with other wraps but what if it is added last

if the Mystery wrasse will work with the fairy wrasse I can add him the same time as the fairy wrasse as my LFS has one and has the pintail and a golden Rhomboidalis

thanks
Six line and Mystery are instant no’s. They’re aggressive and much more aggressive to fairies. Multiple fairies at seperate times? Yes, you can do it and most of the time it works without an acclimation box. Lineatus are more aggressive so will be better added in last.

The Wrasse Lovers Thread has a few good recommendations of tot her wrasses. It will also help to get some more looks into each species and the aggression they hold.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rohmboid wrasse, pintail fairy wrasse, 6 line, yellow coris, and a blue streak cleaner in my 65g DT with no problems at all for months now.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really wanted to add more flashers. They are a lot more beautiful when they flashes at each other in the evening. I would ad 4-5 flashers.
While a mystery is beautiful, you may want something that are much kinder and as beautiful.
How about an Red Sea Eightline Flasher, or a China Wrasse. I have my share of wrasses and my some of my favorites are pictures below. I certainly have more. My tank is larger 320gal DT.

Male Black Leopard nuptial color
BlackLeopardWrasse2019070907Male.jpg

Blue throat Fairy Wrasse (somewhat aggressive)
BlueThroatFairy2019040401.jpg

China Wrasse, female, then male and then nuptial coloration male. Can keep as a harem or pair
ChinaWrasse2020010102.jpg
ChinaWrasse2022012002Male.jpg
ChinaWrasse2022012004Male.jpg

Eightline Flasher (from the Red Sea, larger size of a typical mid size fairy) I raise this guy from a 1 inch baby
EightlineFlasher2020042302.jpg
EightlineFlasher2019061605.jpg

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several wrasses currently and many throughout the years. Fairies and Flashers (sounds like very weird movie) are great and in a big enough tank, I've never had them be aggressive with one another if they were added at the same time. For regular wrasses, melanarus are very pretty and good for pest control. I've heard that others have had aggression issues with them before, but not in my experience. What I can't recommend highly enough are yellow coris. I've got three currently and they are very peaceful and terrific at pest control. There's no way I'd ever see a flatworm in my tank. They are beautiful as well with a bright yellow color that is really eye catching. Only downside to mine is that they developed a taste for nassarius snails, so my huge population of them suffered a genocidal event when the coris gang was added

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider adding enough flashers so you see these. My wrasse flashes every afternoon. It is a shame if you only add one or two flasher wrasse
B0A4E75A-6751-4E2B-A301-FAA2815E4A9B.jpeg
2355FB90-CD09-41E5-999B-B88CD29DEA40.jpeg
3CAB84E8-70AF-4013-B316-9815A4ACC67E.jpeg
11A9BA7A-E7E8-482E-8238-94F5F29FABEB.jpeg
You have a beautiful attenuatus, I wish I had room for more fish. I think if I started this tank over again I would have a foxface and a bunch of wrasse and tilefish.

OP
OP
E

emmabrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys
so I have added
- Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse
- Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse
I dont think my pintail is going to make it but the Golden fish is doing very well in the display tank now

I am thinking of ordering a new pintail and leaving the other in the QT or giving him away

I would like to add a eight line Flasher (from the Red Sea)
I would add it the same time as the new pintail

would this work

do I need more then 1 flasher to see the flashing - or will this happen with some fairy wrasses in the tank

if I need more then 1 does it need to be male

thanks

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys
so I have added
- Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse
- Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse
I dont think my pintail is going to make it but the Golden fish is doing very well in the display tank now

I am thinking of ordering a new pintail and leaving the other in the QT or giving him away

I would like to add a eight line Flasher (from the Red Sea)
I would add it the same time as the new pintail

would this work

do I need more then 1 flasher to see the flashing - or will this happen with some fairy wrasses in the tank

if I need more then 1 does it need to be male

thanks
Fairy wrasse will flash, I have a “pair” of flashing male lubbocks (NOT RECOMMENDED TO DO). However it’s often needed to have several flasher wrasse males of different species to see that flashing occur. You should be alright adding the eight line last since they’re a larger species of flasher and more boisterous species too.

Steveoliv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a Mystery Wrasse for sale if ur still looking. i have had him for 2 years and has just out grown my tank.... i can provide pics an vids if you interested

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys

2- Lineatus Fairy Wrasse
4 - Mystery Wrasse
5 - Six Line Wrasse

so my questions are

thanks
This wasn't mentioned earlier, but DO NOT get the red sea cleaner wrasse (Larabicus quadrilineatus) if you plan to grow LPS and/or SPS. They become corallivores as they grow, and will devour acros, montis, euphyllias, acans, etc. Even heard of one eating a Favia.

I plan on putting one in my 65 gallon, and I'm going to grow just anemones (with saddleback clowns living in them) and noxious softies like shrooms, leathers, palythoa, and pulsing Xenia.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back