Adding yellow coris days from Melanarus

blalaw87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening,

I got a melanarus wrasse today and also wanted to add a yellow coris wrasse. From what I have read on other threads on the forums they can exist peacefully but there is also no guarantee either. It seems like if you introduce them at the same time there is less risk.

The melanarus doesn't seem to be too small and the yellow coris at the LFS seem to be of a decent size as well. I waited on the yellow coris since I am waiting on my lid to get in which is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Is the risk small to add the yellow coris over the weekend or should I wait till the melanarus gets more settled in the tank? Not sure since there is a little bit of a time gap but not much.

I do have a 425 XL with a decent amount of room with a sandbed so there is plenty of room for them both to hopefully not be aggressive to each other.

Or should I just got with a different type of wrasse all together?

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the two wrasses are similary sized, with sand bed, you’ve got a pretty good chance of success as far as agression goes. I‘d get that lid asap, as I’ve found both to be jumpers. My melanarus (a little bigger than the coris) was added several months after the yellow coris, and after several years all seems fine. If anything, on a rare occasion the melanarus, which is still the larger of the two, will give a half hearted chase on the coris. Goodluck and get that lid on top.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening,

I got a melanarus wrasse today and also wanted to add a yellow coris wrasse. From what I have read on other threads on the forums they can exist peacefully but there is also no guarantee either. It seems like if you introduce them at the same time there is less risk.

The melanarus doesn't seem to be too small and the yellow coris at the LFS seem to be of a decent size as well. I waited on the yellow coris since I am waiting on my lid to get in which is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Is the risk small to add the yellow coris over the weekend or should I wait till the melanarus gets more settled in the tank? Not sure since there is a little bit of a time gap but not much.

I do have a 425 XL with a decent amount of room with a sandbed so there is plenty of room for them both to hopefully not be aggressive to each other.

Or should I just got with a different type of wrasse all together?
They are possible! And there’s about a 5% chance it could fail imo. These fish both stay relatively peaceful and can be cohoused with eachother if given enough room.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back