Adjusting Drain Flow to Sump without Touching Gate Valve?

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the hardest time getting the flow into my sump to be correct. The issue I am having is that even with my pump at the lowest setting, there is still so much flow. And at the lowest setting the GPH is pretty low (400ish). The tank is a ProStar 90, with 65 display. The only way I have been able to get the flow right is by closing the gate valve on the drain 1/4 turn. This allows me to have the pump at the GPH I want, and none of the noise or crazy flow.

There seems to be varying opinions on adjusting the gate valve. The obvious con being it may clog easier. I am more than open to suggestions on how better to achieve proper flow, or if closing the valve is OK. Here's a video of the flow if I keep the valve fully open.

Thanks in advance.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly sure what the situation is, but if you have the pump at it's lowest setting and it's still overflowing your tank/overflow, then you just need a small pump.

Where are you using a gate valve? At the pump output?

I couldn't get the video to open so Im shooting in the dark a bit....

Eric

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if I understand but on my tank, I set my return pump to the flow I want with the controller. Then starting with my valve all the way open, I start closing it little by little until the overflow and drain are quiet. I give it 5 or 10 minutes to equalize between adjustments. There's nothing wrong with closing your valve to quiet your drain down as long as you have an emergency drain in case of a clog. I hope this helps

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the hardest time getting the flow into my sump to be correct. The issue I am having is that even with my pump at the lowest setting, there is still so much flow. And at the lowest setting the GPH is pretty low (400ish). The tank is a ProStar 90, with 65 display. The only way I have been able to get the flow right is by closing the gate valve on the drain 1/4 turn. This allows me to have the pump at the GPH I want, and none of the noise or crazy flow.

There seems to be varying opinions on adjusting the gate valve. The obvious con being it may clog easier. I am more than open to suggestions on how better to achieve proper flow, or if closing the valve is OK. Here's a video of the flow if I keep the valve fully open.

Thanks in advance.

Is that the only drain pipe?

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is the only drain pipe. And apologies, I called it a gate valve when it’s really a ball valve. I am able to get the tank quiet when I close it about 1/4 turn. I just want to avoid a clog.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DC return pump with adjustable flow will help with control but your better off with a gate valve. I use ball valves in an open/close capacity only as they are too hard to dial in.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never close the valve on a system with only one drain pipe.

OP
OP
P

pinocchio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a DC pump, but I would have to make the flow rate so low for it to get to a good and somewhat quiet level.

Is there anyway to add a second emergency drain to the existing drain in case of a clog? It would have to branch off somewhere under the tank since I can’t really modify the current tank setup.

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • D/C

Votes: 68 65.4%
  • Both

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 14 13.5%
Back