Adonis Krakota flaming Mohawk care

deedeesdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sup yall.....I just scored an Adonis paly and before it's delivered I'd like to know how to take care of it. I've been reefing for about 2 years and had a saltwater tank for over 10... I've experienced pretty good success thus far but still kinda feel like a noob for some reason. Probably due to the fact I know I will never know it all and is why I need your help. I have some of the more finicky zoas (darth mauls, lunar destroyers and jokers) all were growing great, then all started melting and lost most but happy to report they seem happy now and I noticed 2 new polyps sprouting out of the mauls... hopefully the worst is over... major concern is the Adonis on the way. Can anybody share anything, good or bad in terms of success or failure? Tips, tricks and overall care... what do I do? Where do I put it? High light? Low? High flow? Low? Any crucial perams? Anything you can tell me would seriously help because there isn't much on the ol interweb in that regard.... If I'm successful with this one, I would love to get some krak and mohawk/Mohican action and from what I've read thus far the care for all of said z&ps are similar but I have no idea what that is. With any luck and your help we will be able to grow and frag to get more out there.

OP
OP
D

deedeesdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the addition of supplemental amino acids is what the other zoas wanted. I started using "fuel" rite around the time they stopped melting. I went thru about half the bottle dosing a cap full weekly before I noticed the mauls sprouting 2 new polyps. I believe that's what it was along with feeding, but I always fed coral frenzy so ima go with the adding of the "fuel" as I didn't do much else but kept my fingers crossed.... feel free to chime in on that topic as well, cuz if my Adonis starts melting I'd like to have more in my tool belt then crossing fingers lol

OP
OP
D

deedeesdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessin your tryin to figure out what to do and where to put Em too cuz learning the hard way really isn't an option on these bad boys huh? Lol

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The three polyps you named in your title are all very similar in my experience. They all seem to be comparable to darth mauls as far as care and husbandry go. The only exception is the krakatoa. It is hands down the most difficult paly I've ever kept and I've had my fair share of them. Low to moderate light and moderate random flow is best. Without decent flow they will draw up tight and the rest is history. Good luck!

OP
OP
D

deedeesdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a million joe.... that is the best advice I've found thus far. Now that u mention it my darth mauls were tucked away not getting much flow. Then my six line wrasse decided out of the blue he didn't like my super cool clown fish so I had to dismantle the tank to get him out, upon rearranging I positioned the maul rock out farther getting more light and a bit more flow and bam, new growth. It all makes sense now.. thanks a bunch

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back