Advanced bonkers skimmer question....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MyTankSux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I was wondering if you guys could test something kind of weird for me so I don't end up destroying good equipment I just spent tons of money on. I know you guys recently did a huge skimmer series. I purchased a reef octopus 300 ext a little over a month ago. It has the varios 6 pump. I think the varios 8 is the exact same size. Could someone swap out the impellers on these and make the skimmer a bit more powerful, or are the dimensions on the impellers/shafts different?

edit: reef octopus does not offer a varios 8 skimmer pump, i was thinking this is perhaps a way around it.

Last edited:

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@MyTankSux I believe the pump bodies are the same size, however there is something else that you have to keep in mind. The Varios return pumps that we sell are not the same as the skimmer pumps sold with the skimmers. The skimmer pumps have special needle wheel impellers which help with getting the right air mixture in the skimmer, so return pumps will not provide the same performance or function.

OP
OP
MyTankSux

MyTankSux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think you are understanding. Im talking about if someone had a varios 8 pump also. If they took the needlewheel impeller from the varios 6 which came with the skimmer(perhaps the volute also), and hooked it up to the varios 8 instead. My guestimation is that the "theoretical varios 8s" would flow about 1/3 more air and water for the recirculation pump on the skimmer.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I follow now. You know, I'm not sure if the internal tolerances are 100% the same and if the impellers could be safely swapped. I'd really have to defer to someone at Reef Octo on that. Perhaps @Jeff@CoralVue could chime in here with some input.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back