Advanced bonkers skimmer question....

  • Thread starter Thread starter MyTankSux
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MyTankSux

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 20, 2019
Messages
128
Reaction score
222
Location
mi
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I was wondering if you guys could test something kind of weird for me so I don't end up destroying good equipment I just spent tons of money on. I know you guys recently did a huge skimmer series. I purchased a reef octopus 300 ext a little over a month ago. It has the varios 6 pump. I think the varios 8 is the exact same size. Could someone swap out the impellers on these and make the skimmer a bit more powerful, or are the dimensions on the impellers/shafts different?

edit: reef octopus does not offer a varios 8 skimmer pump, i was thinking this is perhaps a way around it.
 
Last edited:
@MyTankSux I believe the pump bodies are the same size, however there is something else that you have to keep in mind. The Varios return pumps that we sell are not the same as the skimmer pumps sold with the skimmers. The skimmer pumps have special needle wheel impellers which help with getting the right air mixture in the skimmer, so return pumps will not provide the same performance or function.
 
I dont think you are understanding. Im talking about if someone had a varios 8 pump also. If they took the needlewheel impeller from the varios 6 which came with the skimmer(perhaps the volute also), and hooked it up to the varios 8 instead. My guestimation is that the "theoretical varios 8s" would flow about 1/3 more air and water for the recirculation pump on the skimmer.
 
Okay, I follow now. You know, I'm not sure if the internal tolerances are 100% the same and if the impellers could be safely swapped. I'd really have to defer to someone at Reef Octo on that. Perhaps @Jeff@CoralVue could chime in here with some input.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new