Adventures in Reefing

Fangz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first nano 30 gallon salt water/reef tank on Sept 4. I added some dry rocks, sand, and some cycle bacteria. I added a couple clown fish the next day when the temperature stabilized. Everything was going great. No sump, hang on the back Aquaclear 30.

Found ich on my clowns the day after I put new corals in the tank. Clowns are now in quarantine in 10 gallon tank. Added a couple corals the day before once the major cycle was completed.

On Sept 24 I found Aiptasia in the tank - it came from the corals from the local fish store. Got some peppermint shrimp and snails, a couple corals and some macroalgae. The next day I performed surgery on 3 of my corals removing 3 Aiptasia. Havent seen any Aiptasia since.

I had also started some copepods and rotifers in a bucket, along with some phytoplankton. Phyto took off and I had so much of it, I started putting some in my 30 gallon (maybe a bit too much!)

Started seeding the 30 gallon. Corals look fantastic. Got a Seneye, it keeps telling me my ph is very low (7.2). Got more test kits - all levels are excellent except ph. Tried opening windows - didnt change anything.

Tank went cloudy - cant see at all a couple weeks ago. Did a 50% water change - water was brown. Still cant see in the tank. Corals look excellent. Tons of copepods in the tank - all over the glass.

Doused the tank last night with soda ash to boost ph - got it to 8.05 from 7.55. This morning its back to 7.6. dhk after dosing last night was at 11.9. Cant open Windows anymore, temperatures are now in the negatives.

Ordered a UV filter. Tank cloudiness getting worse. Looks like Algae. No ammonia or nitrates.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first nano 30 gallon salt water/reef tank on Sept 4. I added some dry rocks, sand, and some cycle bacteria. I added a couple clown fish the next day when the temperature stabilized. Everything was going great. No sump, hang on the back Aquaclear 30.

Found ich on my clowns the day after I put new corals in the tank. Clowns are now in quarantine in 10 gallon tank. Added a couple corals the day before once the major cycle was completed.

On Sept 24 I found Aiptasia in the tank - it came from the corals from the local fish store. Got some peppermint shrimp and snails, a couple corals and some macroalgae. The next day I performed surgery on 3 of my corals removing 3 Aiptasia. Havent seen any Aiptasia since.

I had also started some copepods and rotifers in a bucket, along with some phytoplankton. Phyto took off and I had so much of it, I started putting some in my 30 gallon (maybe a bit too much!)

Started seeding the 30 gallon. Corals look fantastic. Got a Seneye, it keeps telling me my ph is very low (7.2). Got more test kits - all levels are excellent except ph. Tried opening windows - didnt change anything.

Tank went cloudy - cant see at all a couple weeks ago. Did a 50% water change - water was brown. Still cant see in the tank. Corals look excellent. Tons of copepods in the tank - all over the glass.

Doused the tank last night with soda ash to boost ph - got it to 8.05 from 7.55. This morning its back to 7.6. dhk after dosing last night was at 11.9. Cant open Windows anymore, temperatures are now in the negatives.

Ordered a UV filter. Tank cloudiness getting worse. Looks like Algae. No ammonia or nitrates.
Welcome to REEF2REEF! Every day in reefing is a learning experience.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back