Advice for BioCube 32 tank just going into saltwater

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I have come to the decision to transition from freshwater to saltwater as this is something I have been thinking about and researching for the past 5 months. There is a really good deal on a BioCube 32 with a stand, heater, and an upgraded pump and everything else for $250 right now and I'm thinking I am going to snatch it. Basically I want to present my setup and I would like advice and anything else you can give me. So of course the tank will be the BioCube 32. For the sump in the back I'll be using the inTank Corallife LED Biocube 32 Fuge Basket with Chaetomorpha Algae for my Refugium. I will also be getting the Coralife upgraded media basket too in it filter floss and Seachem Purigen or Chemipure Blue. I also will be using a powerhead of course. What protein skimmer is recommended for this tank really? I know nano protein skimmers don't have the best rep but I think going that way would be helpful. I am trying to decide between two types of sand. The first type is CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand and the second is CaribSea Arag-alive Fiji Pink Sand. What do you guys recommend? Now for the rock is it best to go to my LFS (Not a big box place) and just hand select 32-40 pounds of rock I like or just order it online?Also is dry rock a better choice? I am personally leaning towards that option. I'm not really worried about the stocking yet because I know nothing good happens fast in a saltwater tank but I'll just share the stocking that I would potentially want then go from there. 2 Ocellaris Clownfish (a must for me), a Clown Goby, and 3 Kaudern's Cardinalfish. I am totally open to other stocking suggestions but the Clownfish are set in stone. I'll be cycling the tank using Dr. Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria and Pure Ammonia. Any tips for cycling a saltwater tank as opposed to a freshwater tank?
Now lastly, I REALLY want to keep a few corals after my tank is healthy (hopefully) and up and running for 4-6 months. Any suggestions for simple to keep coral and what supplements they will need?
One last question, should I use snails as a cleaner crew when needed or shrimp too? Sorry for all the questions but I like to be prepared!

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. That’s an excellent deal. I love my BioCube16. Either sand will be fine. It’ll be your preference. I use the special grade sand if I remember correctly. The InTank baskets are amazing. I can’t help you with protein skimmers as I don’t use one. I use md bacteria in a bottle and ammonia to cycle. It worked well. Now for rock, I can’t recommend CaribSea Life Rock enough. Amazon always has a great deal on the 40# box. Good luck! Have patience and it will all go smoothly. You came to the right place.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. That’s an excellent deal. I love my BioCube16. Either sand will be fine. It’ll be your preference. I use the special grade sand if I remember correctly. The InTank baskets are amazing. I can’t help you with protein skimmers as I don’t use one. I use md bacteria in a bottle and ammonia to cycle. It worked well. Now for rock, I can’t recommend CaribSea Life Rock enough. Amazon always has a great deal on the 40# box. Good luck! Have patience and it will all go smoothly. You came to the right place.
Thanks for the quick reply! I looked on Amazon just now and wow $83 for 40 pounds of life rock seems like a really great deal!

lkriley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, so many questions!! First off, if you have been researching that long you know to go slow. That really is the best secret to keeping a saltwater tank. I think I would go with your clownfish first. They are pretty good for cycling a tank out of the choices your presented. So, get two of them and let your tank go through a complete cycle. Plus they will give you the enjoyment you need in the tank to keep you patient. Then you can decide what fish you want next, then go through a complete cycle...and so on, always go through the complete cycle before adding. Save adding the 3 cardinal fish for last, because you will want to add them all at once. I would wait until you have cycled through all the algae that will come. But, meanwhile you can start adding corals if your parameters are in check. As far as the sand, personally I like using the live stuff, there are arguments for both. Really it is your choice. Same for the rock. I have always gone with live rock and sand for cycling the first cycle. Just beware you WILL go through an algae cycle and it is the worst thing ever. So research ahead and be ready. Don't get corals that will be affected too much by the algae (being coated and not able to receive nutrients they need). The best cleaner crew that I like personally is a few turbo snail...they are great...also, I like the blue leg crabs, but research as well for the corals kept. Not the best choice for all corals. I also personally love the decorator crab. It is fun to watch and is amazing with algae. I hope this helps you just a bit. There are so many decisions to be made.

lkriley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, so many questions!! First off, if you have been researching that long you know to go slow. That really is the best secret to keeping a saltwater tank. I think I would go with your clownfish first. They are pretty good for cycling a tank out of the choices your presented. So, get two of them and let your tank go through a complete cycle. Plus they will give you the enjoyment you need in the tank to keep you patient. Then you can decide what fish you want next, then go through a complete cycle...and so on, always go through the complete cycle before adding. Save adding the 3 cardinal fish for last, because you will want to add them all at once. I would wait until you have cycled through all the algae that will come. But, meanwhile you can start adding corals if your parameters are in check. As far as the sand, personally I like using the live stuff, there are arguments for both. Really it is your choice. Same for the rock. I have always gone with live rock and sand for cycling the first cycle. Just beware you WILL go through an algae cycle and it is the worst thing ever. So research ahead and be ready. Don't get corals that will be affected too much by the algae (being coated and not able to receive nutrients they need). The best cleaner crew that I like personally is a few turbo snail...they are great...also, I like the blue leg crabs, but research as well for the corals kept. Not the best choice for all corals. I also personally love the decorator crab. It is fun to watch and is amazing with algae. I hope this helps you just a bit. There are so many decisions to be made.
Forgot to say I also have the biocube 32, it is a great first tank...

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so are you recommending cycling the tank with the Clownfish or cycling it first then adding them while it's just done? Also yes I've heard about the algae problems with new tanks so is my best choice to order a cleaner crew? I have had really good luck with ordering from LiveAquaria for fish so I'll get my two Clownfish there and maybe a cleaner crew there too or should I hold off on the cleaner crew until it's established a bit more?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Bio cubes are very supportive and great entry level systems. While there is no handbook to running a bio cube, patience is the number one factor to both success and failure.
Plan on having 6-7 small fish total in there and figure exactly what fish you must have rather than a wish list.
I started with a bio cube myself many years ago and never imagined I would have multiple tanks ever.
Welcome to the R2R community !!!

Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi! We have a 32 and 29 Biocube. Cycle with bottled bacteria and half a raw shrimp from the grocery store. Remove it after 3 days. I personally cycled with lights on and had a pretty short ugly stage. I think a pair of clowns is a great start. I added my cuc first. I also fed the tank just a little for them. I would recommend adding the fish very slowly. I would start with your goby first. Wait at least 2 weeks and then add the clowns. You can have coral much sooner than your timeline too.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Start with very tiny clowns. They are the saltwater equal to goldfish. Big eaters/big poo. It will help your tank catch up to the bioload.

lkriley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on if you go with live rock/sand or not. If you do, then you can cycle with that. If not, you need a source for cycling (fish). I would add the cleaner crew after you have a source to feed them. They need algae/waste, etc to survive Also, the deal on live rock is really good. BUT, if you can buy a rock or two at a LFS I would. You don't know what you are going to get online. That way if you are not happy with it, or it has to be QT, you can still start cycling your tank.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#1 source for clowns imo is Sustainable Aquatics. Captive bred and stunning!

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you all for the replies! So I'll cycle using bacteria and raw shrimp then after 3 days take the shrimp out. At that point I'll add my cleaner crew with some food and then after it cycles for a week or two add the Goby then a month later I'll add the Clownfish? Is this a good start to the plan that's not too rushed? I'm using Ro Di water and a refugium as well as doing consistent water changes so hopefully my
Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate doesn't spike too much or anything.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I also have tons of reputable reef stores near me is it worth it to take a look at the fish and coral there before ordering online or is online usually the way to go?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your cycle will probably be shorter, but I say 2 weeks just to be sure from start to finish. Have your lfs test your water. Don't bother testing it for 7 days or at all imo. Your lfs may actually get their clowns from Sustainable.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lfs is always better than shipping if you have that option.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back