Advice needed please.

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have added 5 new pieces of dry (2) and live (3) rock to my established aquarium of which I only left 1 piece of old rock in. On ALL pieces of the newly added rock I scrubbed them with a hard brush, jet washed them and soaked them in RO before putting them in. Unfortunately I was unable to get a hold of ATM Colony, Fritz or any similar product. How can I now go about this in the best way possible?

In case anyone is wondering the reason why I have 3 pieces of live rock is that they're all branching and weren't available in the same size/shapes in dry form. Also I don't have any sand in the tank other than a jar full in which my mangrove roots are in.

Live stock is 5 fish and 2 Anemones.

Thanks.

OP
OP

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my worry is, is having 1 piece of establish rock in the aquarium enough to colonise the new 5 pieces of rock with bacteria? Also will I see a mini cycle happening, any side effects, if and what tests should I be conducting and how often? Thanks.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put the live rock in RODI water, I would assume that you deep sized the bacteria. So I think it is safer to just cycle it to be sure.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think your concerns of a mini cycle are real.
I would test for an ammonia spike frequently and get an alert badge.

My concern is the the live rock you scrubbed and soaked in RO. You cant get 100% of everything off.
That bacteria and what ever else is was on there is now dead and will decay and produce ammonia added to the ammonia the fish are producing and the feedings.

So your counting on one piece of established of rock to handle the situation.
If this was my tank I would find and add some bacteria asap.
It takes weeks to cycle a tank naturally.
Thats what your doing or have done here.

YMMV.

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the bacteria on your established rock and that left over on the live rock you scrubbed will be much more effective at colonizing the live rock than any bacteria in a bottle.

I would watch for a mini cycle and test daily. Best thing would be to do water changes if you detect anything and maybe keep a bottle of prime nearby if level get dangerous for your livestock.

I think you very well may not see any rise in ammonia or nitrites at all

Back