[Advice] Nitrates, Phosphates & Algae - Cause and Effect?

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank cycled up fairly quickly with respect to ammonia management - about 2 weeks. I cycled with established LR that I got from a fellow hobbyist -- that LR was also established with some Green and Brown HA. (40b with 20L sump; no fish, CuC only, set-up in Mid Sept 2017)

My nitrates climbed to 20ppm while ammonia and nitrites stayed at 0; PO4 has never been detectable with API or Nyos test. Added CuC and algae management was steady. Within the last 10 days, especially the last 5 I have seen a relative explosion and rapid growth of Brown Hair algae that has spread from the established rocks in the tank as well as in the sump (some established rocks placed there as well). Chaeto growth is great as well...but BHA is on sump glass and now throughout chaeto

But test results revealed that nitrates are now zero. PO4 still zero. One week ago Nitrates have fallen from 20ppm to 10ppm and I thought it was chaeto doing its job...but I think its was just the quiet before the BHA algal bomb!

TLDR: I have hair algae growing quickly in tank, sump and chaeto - my tank is only 1 month old, no livestock except CuC.

What is my best next step?
  • My tank is new so is this typical new tank bloom that I ride out? (no diatoms, no cyano blooms)
  • I know I need to manage nutrients but how with my current tank set-up?
  • I have a reactor and Phosphate out & Phosphate Guard media that I am NOT running currently (due to the zero PO4 results)
What I don't want to do is miss a chance to jump on a problem quickly if attention is needed. I am patiently waiting to add corals (at least 2 more weeks) and fish (at least 4 more weeks) - but if tank is overgrown then, what a bummer?

What I also don't want to do is panic...and not practice the patience that I kept reminding myself to have!

Over-analysis after tonight's World Series Game 1 loss by my Astros!

OP
OP
DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae cycles are pretty normal. I'm not sure I'd doing anything special yet.

Thanks - just needed a sanity check. I will keep my light cycle going and monitor parameters - if things don't slow or reverse I will determine the best plan of action. Anything particular to be wary of?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back