Advice on a Reef Reboot

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been at this a long time. I’ve moved. Changed tanks, etc. but this is the first time I’ve considered rebooting a tank without changing plumbing or major hardware.

My dosing pump quit at a time when it went unnoticed causing a big alk and SG swing and I had catastrophic SPS loss. My LPS faired well, and I considered Just letting the skeletons encrust and planting new frags, but I think It’s time to reboot the system.

luckily my best friend is the LFS owner and can house any fish and corals indefinitely.

How would you go about cleaning an entire system to rid it of bubble algae. Turf algae. Other assorted pests. I can Do a myriatic acid dip for the rocks, but what do I do For the tank, sump, plumbing?

Thanks!

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are dealing with AEFW or nudis or have a massive aiptasia problem I would reconsider a full reboot. I did so in my 40 and regret losing all of the live rock maturity when I could have fixed and issue at a time. Try reducing the livestock like you have planned but add in some fish/invers to target issues. Emerald crabs for bubble algae, algae eaters for turf and maybe some wrasses for pests.

If you want to go for it I would bleach the rock and if needed acid wash it after. Break up the aqua scape and do something cool (NSA?). Rinse the sandbed very well and recycle the tank.

OP
OP
Cully

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. It’s tough to get rid of all the correline. I’m definitely teetering. Maybe a partial tear out with some temporary aquatic helpers. The aquascape could use a little bit of a new look. Depressing. It was looking really good, then, kaboom.

Attachments

• FB66352B-A2F2-4F96-82A1-95B563D4E9F9.jpeg
    FB66352B-A2F2-4F96-82A1-95B563D4E9F9.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 25

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. It’s tough to get rid of all the correline. I’m definitely teetering. Maybe a partial tear out with some temporary aquatic helpers. The aquascape could use a little bit of a new look. Depressing. It was looking really good, then, kaboom.
How dead is the tank now? I would never advise a reboot after going through one, I feel like I wasted 6 months.

OP
OP
Cully

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
120. I appreciate The input. Maybe I can Tweak it vs rebooting. Definitely some things I dont Like that will need changing though.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure we can clean your tank in half a day and not have to restart your cycle or rehome livestock for any period of time elsewhere. I'm not the expert though. Hopefully Brandon has time to pop in here.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back