Advice on a stocking related question

B.dohmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I would like some advice on the following matter. I have a tank which is 100x55x55 cm (about 39x21x21 inches) with a actual total water volume of 275 L (72 gallons). It is a mixed reef in a really early stage.

With the following fish stocking: Bicolored foxface, yellowtang, pair of ocelaris cownfish and a falco hawkfish that transferred form my pervious tank.

The lather is my problem, about 1,5 months ago I bought the pair of clowns together with a halichoeres chrysus (yellow wrasse), and in the last few days I noted aggression form the falco toward the yellow wrasse at lights out when the wrasse was looking for a place to burry him self. I chalked it up to territorial behaviour from the falco. How ever by now the yellow wrasse is dead du to aggression form the falco. Witch is my fault for not intervening sooner.

But now I’m noticing that my foxface and yellow tang are acting shy again. And the yellow wrasse was acting as a dither fish. And I’m hesitant to add new fish because of the hawkfish his behaviour. And rehoming the hawk temporarily to the sump or a other tank isn’t a option for me.

Do any of you have recommendations for fish that would hold there one against the falco that would fit in with the tank and can act as dither fish for the foxface and yellowtang.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I would like some advice on the following matter. I have a tank which is 100x55x55 cm (about 39x21x21 inches) with a actual total water volume of 275 L (72 gallons). It is a mixed reef in a really early stage.

With the following fish stocking: Bicolored foxface, yellowtang, pair of ocelaris cownfish and a falco hawkfish that transferred form my pervious tank.

The lather is my problem, about 1,5 months ago I bought the pair of clowns together with a halichoeres chrysus (yellow wrasse), and in the last few days I noted aggression form the falco toward the yellow wrasse at lights out when the wrasse was looking for a place to burry him self. I chalked it up to territorial behaviour from the falco. How ever by now the yellow wrasse is dead du to aggression form the falco. Witch is my fault for not intervening sooner.

But now I’m noticing that my foxface and yellow tang are acting shy again. And the yellow wrasse was acting as a dither fish. And I’m hesitant to add new fish because of the hawkfish his behaviour. And rehoming the hawk temporarily to the sump or a other tank isn’t a option for me.

Do any of you have recommendations for fish that would hold there one against the falco that would fit in with the tank and can act as dither fish for the foxface and yellowtang.
I can't give you a recommendation for a fish that fits both your criteria, but I can let you know some fish that can bring out the best in your other fish and some fish that can match the aggression of the hawkfish and 'tame' it if you want.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are in a tough spot. Falco hawks can apparently get pretty aggressive. Damsels, like sapphire or yellow tail, might be a good choice.

To be honest, I would trade the falco for a long nose hawk, and I would get rid of the tang and foxface. You would be basically starting over with the clowns, but you could get a group of fish that can get along and live forever in a tank with those dimensions.

OP
OP
B

B.dohmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't give you a recommendation for a fish that fits both your criteria, but I can let you know some fish that can bring out the best in your other fish and some fish that can match the aggression of the hawkfish and 'tame' it if you want.
yes I would like that. always good to get some new infortation about that

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I would like that. always good to get some new infortation about that
Damsels or dottyback for aggression (damsel is recommended). Every lasting tank has a fish that serves as the Peacekeeper (IME). This fish is aggressive to other fish that step out of line, but arent randomly or overly aggressive. In my tank it is a pajama cardinal.
As for bringing out the best in other fish, wrasses are usually the best. In my tank it wasn't until I added my leopard wrasse that my fish came out without fear. Neon gobys are also a good chouce.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are in a tough spot. Falco hawks can apparently get pretty aggressive. Damsels, like sapphire or yellow tail, might be a good choice.

To be honest, I would trade the falco for a long nose hawk, and I would get rid of the tang and foxface. You would be basically starting over with the clowns, but you could get a group of fish that can get along and live forever in a tank with those dimensions.
I agree. It wouldnt be wise to add fish to a tank that is inhabited by a yellow tang already. You can temporarily remove the tang, and then readd it as the last fish. I don't have any experience with foxfaces.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back