Advice on mail ordering wrasses divers den or not?

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok r2r I have a question -

I’d like to get a pink streaked or possum wrasse for my tank. I ordered a pink streaked from LADD and it was DOA. I am wondering if perhaps I’d have better luck having the wrasse shipped from regular LA’s Los Angles facility since I live in northern California so presumably it would be traveling for less time than it does from Wisconsin. What do folks think- is DD worth the extra shipping stress? Did I just get unlucky this time (the other fish I ordered were fine, knock on wood).

Also as a side note - so excited to get some new fish!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a wrasse, could go either way. They only condition them for 2 weeks or so unless issues. At least that is my understanding. This is good, don't get me wrong. However with wrasses, they can be stressed out so much moving from one, conditioning then shipping again so soon. Not sure which is better honestly.
I know FME, I like to get young wrasses, rather than the fully mature ones. Seem to handle things a bit better. May depend on species too.
Good luck. Maybe try to find one local or at a show or from another reefer.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DD is a long way from me as well.
I've never had a wrasse arrive DOA from them, but I have had a few die soon after, in QT.
OTOH, I have a pink-streaked from them that's been in a new nano tank and doing well for about a month (after QT).
And I have 2 possum wrasses from them that are doing well, eating and active, in QT after 2 weeks so far.
And I've bought fairy and flasher wrasses, even a leopard wrasse, from them that all did fine.
So I wouldn't say that buying wrasses from DD is a death sentence. Not at all.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk, i ordered fish one time. one from ORA, one from DD, and one from the LA wholesale place. All 3 were shipped around the same time the prior night. the ORA and DD ones obviously got to fly on a plane, while the LA one sat at a warehouse or something in ontario, then all 3 showed up at my house together the next day at 10 AM, so i don't think the wrasse that came from LA really experienced much different travel save a plane ride. it still sat in a box overnight. yours would have a plane ride, albeit a shorter one.

if given the choice between the two i'd take the DD one that has at least, in theory, been conditioned for a bit and should be eating

Last edited:

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased 20+ fish from DD including fairy and flasher wrasse and never an issue. Sold off 3 when I moved and the rest are all in my current tank.

It’s my #1 place for fish.

OP
OP
Pbh-reef

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased 20+ fish from DD including fairy and flasher wrasse and never an issue. Sold off 3 when I moved and the rest are all in my current tank.

It’s my #1 place for fish.

Argh - I guess it’s just bad luck for me this time. It’s a shame, was a cute little fish

JAM-MAN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Tucson AZ and received a Tanaka's Pigmy Wrasse from Divers Den. He was very cold on arrival, but revived and is eating and swimming around in QT. Had good luck with DD.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 106 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.1%

Back