OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day it is your call. I think you are looking at this the wrong way. We shouldn't look at our tanks and think which fish can I cram in here and survive. I think we should look at our tanks and ask ourselves what can thrive and live a full, happy life in the tank.

This is debated some, but many argue that a stressed fish fights off disease less efficiently. The reality is that there are probably diseases in a lot of tanks, but fish are healthy enough to fight them. Other than that, I am not a tang expert, maybe @4FordFamily can give you some insight on the downside of having a large tang in such a small tank and expand on my post.

Also, a Moorish Idol is quite a large fish for your system as well. Is that fish still alive?
no the fish died wiithin 2 days. and yeah i hear you on that. i really just wanna care for a blue tang and i just paid like 1000 to upgrade my tank from a HOB marinland to a 60 gallon cube with a sump so i am pretty pumped to get a nice tank flowing

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, a Blue Tang isn't going to know what you paid for the tank, so I would say avoid all tangs in the future.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i hear you for now im just gonna care for the yellow one i have noe
Just to add, I hope you don't feel like anyone is trying to bring you down here. It sounds like you did a nice upgrade. Even with the 60 gallon cube you should be able to stock it well and have an awesome look.

I would consider fish vertically when stocking in the future. Look to have fish that are sand sifter for the bottom, normal swimmers in the middle, then fish for the top (like a school of Chromis) that live near the top.

This will give you a full look even though you can't have any big swimmers.

Best of luck.

Let us know if you need help getting that QT going.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, a blue tang is not suitable for a 60 gallon tank. They'll outgrow it relatively quickly and aren't easy to remove to re-home. Take it slow with adding fish to a new tank, I know that's hard to do. I agree with proper quarantine to keep disease out, I learned that lesson the hard way many times before I gave in!

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always take a LFS's word with a grain of salt cause many will have no problem selling you fish that are way too big for your tank. It's just another sale to them. And if it dies that just means you might go back for more.

Just take it slow and do your research. I know it sucks to spend all that money just to be told you cant keep your favorite fish. Fish keeping is cruel enough as it is so we should all strive to provide them with the best home and care that we can.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 60g too small for any tang, long term..very nice looking setup though. My yellow tang has grown to 5"+ in 8 months..bought as a juvenile. It is in a 6 ft 150g, and I wont even add a 2nd tang to this setup as I know the tang will get bigger, and more aggressive. You could keep a tang in 4 ft tank, but I would be surprised if it grew to full potential, and was healthy long term. You will see many examples of multiple tangs in moderately sized tanks, but it doesn't mean it is ideal, imo. Most of them get fairly large.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, I hope you don't feel like anyone is trying to bring you down here. It sounds like you did a nice upgrade. Even with the 60 gallon cube you should be able to stock it well and have an awesome look.

I would consider fish vertically when stocking in the future. Look to have fish that are sand sifter for the bottom, normal swimmers in the middle, then fish for the top (like a school of Chromis) that live near the top.

This will give you a full look even though you can't have any big swimmers.

Best of luck.

Let us know if you need help getting that QT going.
thanks i really appreciate you and your advice. i have been feeling down latley as i really love blue tangs, but i will also take your advice on this. can you make a list for me on some fish i should look into? as sand sifters and fish that swim at the top. i liked blue tnag because it swimmed at the top alot

OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, a blue tang is not suitable for a 60 gallon tank. They'll outgrow it relatively quickly and aren't easy to remove to re-home. Take it slow with adding fish to a new tank, I know that's hard to do. I agree with proper quarantine to keep disease out, I learned that lesson the hard way many times before I gave in!
thanks for that. what if i got a small blue tang and kept it alive for years? when i think about it i probably have lost about 500 bucks worht of fish from random deaths but it was actually ich or velvet

OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a
Always take a LFS's word with a grain of salt cause many will have no problem selling you fish that are way too big for your tank. It's just another sale to them. And if it dies that just means you might go back for more.

Just take it slow and do your research. I know it sucks to spend all that money just to be told you cant keep your favorite fish. Fish keeping is cruel enough as it is so we should all strive to provide them with the best home and care that we can.
amen to that thank you for the encouragement i love this reef2reef site

OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 60g too small for any tang, long term..very nice looking setup though. My yellow tang has grown to 5"+ in 8 months..bought as a juvenile. It is in a 6 ft 150g, and I wont even add a 2nd tang to this setup as I know the tang will get bigger, and more aggressive. You could keep a tang in 4 ft tank, but I would be surprised if it grew to full potential, and was healthy long term. You will see many examples of multiple tangs in moderately sized tanks, but it doesn't mean it is ideal, imo. Most of them get fairly large.
what does IMO mean? and thanks for commenting on my setup. any tips for it?

OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice on the blue tang thread, but do you guys have any tips for me on my plumbing or setup? i dont like how i have some green stuff in my return line pump

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what does IMO mean? i thought 60 gallons is okay for a tank with tangs? and yes i test my water. my ammonia and nitrites are always 0, nitrate stays around 10 after water changes. ph is 8.0, calcium 400, alk 8. how many fish would be recommended for a 60 gallon then?

IMO means “in my opinion.”

I was guessing on you tank size based on you saying that your light is a radion and knowing the size of a radion and how that compared to the overall size of the tank in your picture. Your glass scraper also looks huge in that tank. If your tank is a 24 inch cube, it is probably more like a 54-55 gallon tank than a 60 gallon tank. You said that you had also put a Morish Idol in the tank. That, along with two Tangs, two Clownfish, an Angel Fish, and other fish is really a large bio-load for that size of tank. Lack of swimming space and such a large bio-load probably increased stress on your fish. I saw in another thread that your Angle Fish was having problems also. Stress makes all of our fish more susceptible to disease. I know you spent a lot of money on the new tank, but I would reconsider your stocking options in the future. That Yellow Tang is going to out grow that tank. You could maybe add 2-3 smaller fish in place of that tang, but then I would call it quits on adding more fish to the system. All of that, of course, is after you get the disease under control.

OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO means “in my opinion.”

I was guessing on you tank size based on you saying that your light is a radion and knowing the size of a radion and how that compared to the overall size of the tank in your picture. Your glass scraper also looks huge in that tank. If your tank is a 24 inch cube, it is probably more like a 54-55 gallon tank than a 60 gallon tank. You said that you had also put a Morish Idol in the tank. That, along with two Tangs, two Clownfish, an Angel Fish, and other fish is really a large bio-load for that size of tank. Lack of swimming space and such a large bio-load probably increased stress on your fish. I saw in another thread that your Angle Fish was having problems also. Stress makes all of our fish more susceptible to disease. I know you spent a lot of money on the new tank, but I would reconsider your stocking options in the future. That Yellow Tang is going to out grow that tank. You could maybe add 2-3 smaller fish in place of that tang, but then I would call it quits on adding more fish to the system. All of that, of course, is after you get the disease under control.
Sweet thanks for advice on that i will def consider these moving forward. its so tough having to settle iwth not being able toget the fish you want

OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys! so my yellow tang looks normal now and the flam angel as less ich after using medic from polpy lab, but should i still fallow the tank? and i found a clownfish have white stringy poop

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
what does IMO mean? i thought 60 gallons is okay for a tank with tangs? and yes i test my water. my ammonia and nitrites are always 0, nitrate stays around 10 after water changes. ph is 8.0, calcium 400, alk 8. how many fish would be recommended for a 60 gallon then?
Imo= in my opinion

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
60 g ok for a tang or two. Obviously you don’t want to acquire tangs that grow to 6-10”. I would hold off on any additions and assure tank doing well as well as the occupants. Utilize a qt tank or have your store quarantine for you for a couple of weeks prior to pickup and assure it eats, swims normal and breathes normal

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to hijack the thread but just a random question that this whole thread got me thinking about:
I couldn’t tell if OP was keeping fish only or reef too but IF it is going to be fish only forever and always COULD ich/velvet be treated in the tank? Barring any CUC or inverts of any kind?

What prompted this question was OP has a big stock in this tank and treating all at once while his DT is fallow would be a big task. Although the 60 marine land may be still available.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not trying to hijack the thread but just a random question that this whole thread got me thinking about:
I couldn’t tell if OP was keeping fish only or reef too but IF it is going to be fish only forever and always COULD ich/velvet be treated in the tank? Barring any CUC or inverts of any kind?

What prompted this question was OP has a big stock in this tank and treating all at once while his DT is fallow would be a big task. Although the 60 marine land may be still available.
If Fish only- yes, entire tan could be treated but a risk to the fish especially if scaleless and if there are protozoans, they will drop eggs and issue may never go away. recommended is NO hosts in the tank for about 8-9 weeks to assure everything parasitical has vanished

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 28 18.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 101 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.3%
Back