Advice on QT for Green Mandarin

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good information. Thanks everyone.

With all this info in mind, how do you think this would work?

I could add substrate and feed my QT under a fuge light until it is overgrown with algae and add chaeto and pods from my DT fuge. Add some acclimated black mollies until they are happy. Once I have lots of pods visible add the Mandarin.

If the Mandarin is a carrier the mollies would get sick....

This way I would know if the Mandarin is safe for the DT. I could take it back to LFS if not and treat the mollies with copper.
This is a great plan! BTW the Petco near me (I know there are plenty of bad stories about Petco) currently has captive bred mandarins (likely Biota) for $49. They are very tiny and would be easier to keep in a QT since their pod demand would be less due to their size. Plus they are aquacultured, another bonus. If you have a Petco that carries saltwater they may be able to order you one - you could ask them to leave it in the bag until you get it, so its not exposed to their system.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use safety stop on mandarin then into QT for a month or so to watch for visible illness then into dt?

marinehead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good information. Thanks everyone.

With all this info in mind, how do you think this would work?

I could add substrate and feed my QT under a fuge light until it is overgrown with algae and add chaeto and pods from my DT fuge. Add some acclimated black mollies until they are happy. Once I have lots of pods visible add the Mandarin.

If the Mandarin is a carrier the mollies would get sick....

This way I would know if the Mandarin is safe for the DT. I could take it back to LFS if not and treat the mollies with copper.

Just got two biota captive bred mandarin, but Petco decided to put it in their display tank instead of holding them in the bag for me .

how did this method work for you?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back