Advice on QT for Green Mandarin

Good information. Thanks everyone.

With all this info in mind, how do you think this would work?

I could add substrate and feed my QT under a fuge light until it is overgrown with algae and add chaeto and pods from my DT fuge. Add some acclimated black mollies until they are happy. Once I have lots of pods visible add the Mandarin.

If the Mandarin is a carrier the mollies would get sick....

This way I would know if the Mandarin is safe for the DT. I could take it back to LFS if not and treat the mollies with copper.
This is a great plan! BTW the Petco near me (I know there are plenty of bad stories about Petco) currently has captive bred mandarins (likely Biota) for $49. They are very tiny and would be easier to keep in a QT since their pod demand would be less due to their size. Plus they are aquacultured, another bonus. If you have a Petco that carries saltwater they may be able to order you one - you could ask them to leave it in the bag until you get it, so its not exposed to their system.
 
Can you use safety stop on mandarin then into QT for a month or so to watch for visible illness then into dt?
 
Good information. Thanks everyone.

With all this info in mind, how do you think this would work?

I could add substrate and feed my QT under a fuge light until it is overgrown with algae and add chaeto and pods from my DT fuge. Add some acclimated black mollies until they are happy. Once I have lots of pods visible add the Mandarin.

If the Mandarin is a carrier the mollies would get sick....

This way I would know if the Mandarin is safe for the DT. I could take it back to LFS if not and treat the mollies with copper.

Just got two biota captive bred mandarin, but Petco decided to put it in their display tank instead of holding them in the bag for me .

how did this method work for you?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new