Advice on Stonies

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hand-me-down IM Nuvo 10g tank that my wife gave to me when she upgraded to a Nuvo40. (Gave is a strong word, it was more like "I'm gonna go ahead and use that if you're upgrading - kthx")

Anyways - the tank has been up for a couple months now, original cyano issues seem to be sorting themselves out - but I do need some cleanup crew because I've got a bit of hair algae (almost everything went to wife's new tank). Tank currently has some live rock, sand, a pretty good size RBTA, some sort of finger leather/colt coral, a couple zoas. Everything seems to be doing pretty well at this point. BTA will eventually be moving to wife's tank - hoping it will split first. Don't want to move it until I get the aiptasia under control.

Oh, yeah, the tank also has a bit of an aiptasia problem and majanos (yay :/).

Equipment is an IM Ghost Skimmer, some sort of LED light, stock return (I think) and a Jebao OW-10 pump for in-tank circulation. I'm topping up with Kalk. Still need an ATO (Hit me up if you've got one to sell - can't post in WTB yet). Parameters are mag 1340, Alk 9.1dkh, CA 450 per Red Sea tests.

I'm planning on buying a handful of peppermint shrimp from Algae Barn (anyone used theirs for aiptasia control?) to try to get that under control, and some ceriths/trochus/etc in the next couple of days.

Its been about a decade since I last kept a reef tank - so I'm a bit out of my depth at this point - but I want to start moving back towards stony stuff - but I'm not sure if the tank is ready. Where do I start here? Any particular easy to keep stuff people recommend? It used to be m. digitata when I was last doing this.

Any particular recommendations on fish for a tank this size? My wife has percs and a tank raised biota mandarin - so I'm trying to not add clowns to this tank. Maybe clown gobies or something? Anything else that would be symbiotic with the 'nem?

Brasileiro561

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try pavona or digitata. They cheap and easy to keep. 2 friends of mine just started a tank about 6 months ago and I gave them a frag of each. So far they haven’t died yet lol. Plus pavona grows in all kind of cool shape

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back