Aiptasia Advice..

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.. Happy New Year!
I was hoping I could get some advice… I have a 7 month old 50 gallon AIO that I keep a single peacock mantis shrimp in.
I have noticed recently that I have 3 stalks of aiptasa growing in the tank. I do not keep any type of corals.
I am hesitant to treat the Aiptasia with the various options (cannot do peppermint shrimp or a file fish) because I have heard that can actually cause it to spread more throughout the tank. I would really prefer to NOT have to take the rocks out for the removal as they are growing on intricate parts of my mantis’s burrow.
Will they eventually just overtake the tank if untreated? Is it ok to just leave them or best to take the chance of spread and treat them?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!
IMG_7932.jpeg

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year! I would take them out asap. There are a few different methods other peppermints and filefish. You could try hot water, lemon juice, Kalk, superglue, etc. if there’s three you can see, there’s probably a few or a lot more that you can’t.

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not panic. I would wait and see what happens. But that's me...
Not sure what to wait for, once u have aiptasia u always have aiptasia. U need to have a predator for it to keep it under control. Even witj berghia nudis sometimes they do a good job eating it, starve and die. And then aiptasia comes back. Its a cycle once you have it u have it. And they spread a lot

Last edited:

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove ASAP.
F-Aptasia works well but be sure to seal around the pest as well.

Aptasia X works for spot treatment as well, but again, not just the pest, but around the pest the size of a dime.

I don’t use the supplied syringe, I use 1/8th inch ridge airline tube and not shy putting it on.

Used both for quite some time, hurt none else.

Let both work with flow off for an hour.

Two-apart epoxy is another choice, roll some and cover.
You can pull it off sometime later if you wish.

Wack em when you see them, be persistent.

OP
OP
TripFamAZ

TripFamAZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the advice! I’ll go ahead and try either the F1 Aiptasia or the Red Sea X one,. Is one better over the other? I was leaning towards the X.
Also any suggestions on if it’s worth buying a Bergia Nudabranch to try to help since it seems like it will be a regular problem? There is a good chance my mantis might just kill it.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh geez. I didn't see that. Not many people have a mantis. That's pretty cool. I'd just leave them be or plug them with epoxy. Like I said if you mess with them they spread like wildfire. I used to have hundreds until I got a filefish.

Itsadeepbluesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to remove them. In my experiences, they just continue to appear. The method I recommend is taking an insulin syringe, fill it with lemon juice concentrate, then inject it right into the aiptasia. It works surprisingly well, however you do have to do it with each one individually.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some strange advise in this thread. Having said that taking care of it now is wise otherwise it could become a larger problem. Few ways but know up front buying any animal for utility first is unwise. They may, or may not, do what you purchased them for. So buy them because you want them if that makes sense. Some may starve if the natural food source is gone. Other tank inhabitants may eat item you purchased for utility (wrasses, peppermint shirmp vs Bergia).

You can:
  • Manually remove rocks and replace with others. Let these dry out
  • Use f-aiptasia
  • Epoxy over or super glue
  • Try a true peppermint shrimp
  • Try a matted filefish (not heard a mantis going after those before but also never owned a mantis)
  • Try Bergia (not a fan due to cost and starving once cleared)

Most of this has already been stated here within. Main thing to take away is if you don't handle it today, tomorrow, then next week it may be in your plumbing or sump or overflow, etc. My display is clear of it but my refugium, sump, overflow, and plumbing have it by the yard. I personally don't care because I have enough predators that eat it. Copperband butterfly, Milletseed Butterfly (yes, oddly enough this goes crazy for it), and lastly the heavy lifter, Biota matted filefish. So my display is clear always.

tl; dr - deal with it early so it won't become a problem later. If you can remove the rock today that may be the best that way it is easier to epoxy, add f-aiptasia, etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back