Advice please for DIY HOB refugium

Aaron Hinckley 52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm a beginner with saltwater. I have a 45 gallon tall tank with 2 aquaclear HOB 110 filters. Im thinking of trying to convert one of them into a refugium or algae scrubber or something like that.

Is this a good idea, or should I just leave them as filters? They are the only source of flow at the moment. I would like to add some beginner corals at some point.

I want to minimize maintenance and water changes and have good water quality.

Any suggestions? Lighting, design, what should I put in it? is this a good idea?

Thank you all so much for your time and suggestions.

20221201_202937.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm a beginner with saltwater. I have a 45 gallon tall tank with 2 aquaclear HOB 110 filters. Im thinking of trying to convert one of them into a refugium or algae scrubber or something like that.

Is this a good idea, or should I just leave them as filters? They are the only source of flow at the moment. I would like to add some beginner corals at some point.

I want to minimize maintenance and water changes and have good water quality.

Any suggestions? Lighting, design, what should I put in it? is this a good idea?

Thank you all so much for your time and suggestions.

20221201_202937.jpg

Welcome! Glad you joined. Your tank seems so new that I'm not sure at this time algae scrubber would make sense - but yes down the road and after you get another pump into your tank. Typical goal is 3-10x your aquarium volume should be moving. Lower end of spectrum for FOWLR, middle for softies mixed reef, higher for acros/stick corals. Perhaps I'm wrong, but those HOB filters may not yet have you where you need to be.

EDIT: algae needs light, nitrates and phosphates for fuel. Ideally don't dose those as they'll come along as byproduct of healthy aquarium and feeding fish and/or corals.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). You'd create it over under Forum > Member Aquariums area.

This might help you find people local to you in Iowa City:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review - and having an algae scrubber isn't going to avert ugly phase we all go thru:

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been running? I agree that it’s probably too soon to start a refugium on your tank. I started one really early on my tank and it worked too well. Stripped all of the nutrients out of my water and I struggled with dinos.

I would say, keep moving forward with your tank and slowly adding livestock and corals. Testing water parameters along to way.

When you do reach a point where you need the additional nutrient export you could convert one of the HOB filters to a refugium. I built a diy hob refugium on my previous tank and it worked pretty well. I bought some waterproof led strip lights in “grow” colors and wrapped the entire hob filter. My hob filter was clear plastic. Not sure if that would work on those Aquaclear filters. Maybe a light on top.

OP
OP
A

Aaron Hinckley 52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been running? I agree that it’s probably too soon to start a refugium on your tank. I started one really early on my tank and it worked too well. Stripped all of the nutrients out of my water and I struggled with dinos.

I would say, keep moving forward with your tank and slowly adding livestock and corals. Testing water parameters along to way.

When you do reach a point where you need the additional nutrient export you could convert one of the HOB filters to a refugium. I built a diy hob refugium on my previous tank and it worked pretty well. I bought some waterproof led strip lights in “grow” colors and wrapped the entire hob filter. My hob filter was clear plastic. Not sure if that would work on those Aquaclear filters. Maybe a light on top.
Thank you both for your replies. The tank has been up for about 4 months. Its currently fallow with only shrimps, crabs and copepods in it because I had ick. I still feed them. The Nitrates went up to about 30 or so recently. It still has some brown algae in it. I think the copepods eat that. so I'm just letting it grow for now. I put a lot of those bacteria additives in it initially so the nutrients stayed very low at first. But now they are higher than I'm used to.

Not trying to avert the ugly stages really, I just want to establish a stable system. Any other tips on converting the HOB? Did you reduce flow, modify impeller, add a baffle, screen etc.? This HOB is clear also. Thank you for the idea about the LEDs

I'm thinking for a long term solution, not to help with the initial stages. Its already cycled I'm sure.

OP
OP
A

Aaron Hinckley 52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. Your tank seems so new that I'm not sure at this time algae scrubber would make sense - but yes down the road and after you get another pump into your tank. Typical goal is 3-10x your aquarium volume should be moving. Lower end of spectrum for FOWLR, middle for softies mixed reef, higher for acros/stick corals. Perhaps I'm wrong, but those HOB filters may not yet have you where you need to be.

EDIT: algae needs light, nitrates and phosphates for fuel. Ideally don't dose those as they'll come along as byproduct of healthy aquarium and feeding fish and/or corals.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). You'd create it over under Forum > Member Aquariums area.

This might help you find people local to you in Iowa City:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review - and having an algae scrubber isn't going to avert ugly phase we all go thru:
Hi, thank you for your reply. Yeah, I assume Ill need a water mover of some sort eventually. I think its about 4x water movement now.

No I didn't know about the build thread or the local forum. Ill look at those, thank you very much.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a hob breeder box with a cheap 50gph powerhead. I then added a 12 inch led strip on top. Seems to be working well.
Not to much flow. I did the 3 chamber breeder box so i can add other things like carbon or similar at times.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back