Advice please

Lloyd1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a purple tang a few week ago I asked if it would be safe with my 2 clown fish which I’ve had for years and my lfs said yes as it was kept with them there and it killed one of my clownfish the bigger off the two any idea on where to go from here as I have the other clown in a quarantine tank at this time any advice would be much appreciated!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger clown was the female. It was defending it's territory (the entire tank) and the Tang won.

Without some details about your system it's impossible to give any real advice. Things like tank size, age, amount of liverock, flow rate (through power heads and return) and basic parameters (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate,and salinity) for starters. If you have corals as well, please include Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium, and lighting (type, intensity, and duration).

Happy to help but help us help you!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems odd but purple tangs can be aggressive

OP
OP
L

Lloyd1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the display tank?
The larger clown was the female. It was defending it's territory (the entire tank) and the Tang won.

Without some details about your system it's impossible to give any real advice. Things like tank size, age, amount of liverock, flow rate (through power heads and return) and basic parameters (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate,and salinity) for starters. If you have corals as well, please include Calcium, Alkalinity, and Magnesium, and lighting (type, intensity, and duration).

How big is the display tank?
300litres display

OP
OP
L

Lloyd1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s just odd because they were always in the top corner never bothered with it until I notice the female clown seemed strange! 20kg off live rock all parameters perfect! No corals! Tank is 300litre display!

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That size of tank is a bit small for a purple tang and may have contributed to the aggression. I’m not trying to be the tang police but I’ve always heard they need at least a 5 foot tank. The female clown may have started the aggression if the clowns were well established. They can get territorial depending on what species of clown you dealing with.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 gallons is small for a purple tang, I have one, we love her, but she hates all fish other than her fox face including gobies anywhere near the right side of the tank. We feed nori and frozen daily so food is not an issue. Good luck!

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size of tank probably contributed to the heightened aggression. Other factors such as amount food and aggression from the clown would also be things to consider. Tangs need to graze all day and having food available is key to their success. Over the years my experience with purple tangs has led me to believe 6' is the minimum.

Back