Advice Please...

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok so the time has come to add a sump amd external overflow to our tank.

I have read many threads and watched videos by BRS and many others.

Now I'm gathering R2R knowledge before I make my decision. Knowledge is power ;)

I have room for a 36" × 17" sump and I will need an external overflow compatible as well as a return pump. I would essentially like space for but not limited to or set on....skimmer, reactor, roller, fuge, UV, ato...and anything else I would need.

Ok guys let me.know what you got and why you like it and thank you in advance!!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the new fuge!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so the time has come to add a sump amd external overflow to our tank.

I have read many threads and watched videos by BRS and many others.

Now I'm gathering R2R knowledge before I make my decision. Knowledge is power ;)

I have room for a 36" × 17" sump and I will need an external overflow compatible as well as a return pump. I would essentially like space for but not limited to or set on....skimmer, reactor, roller, fuge, UV, ato...and anything else I would need.

Ok guys let me.know what you got and why you like it and thank you in advance!!
Hey Merkey if I had mine to do all over. I'd double the amount of overflow back to my sump.
I'm getting ready to change out my return pumps to something with an app that I can fully control. I wouldn't go cheap on the return pump.
Good luck with new set up. I've been fine tuning mine since I set it up lol.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReeferBlaine @MERKEY is another local reefer! Thought I would introduce you both, ReeferBlaine is thinking about adding an overflow and sump to his 50G lagoon tank. He'd be a great resource in helping build out your sump area. We've both been doing a little research for this type of project...

What size tank do you have? Are you thinking DIY or out of the box?

Here are some of my product recommendations based on what you've noted thus far... (with some assumptions that cost isn't an issue)
Trigger sump has multiple options for all the requirements, CWT would be my next choice.
eShopp has a lot of options for external overflows, skimmz would be my second choice.

Also can you post a picture of your tank/ the backside and where you plan on adding the sump?

Let me know happy to help with this one!

OP
OP
MERKEY

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions and tips!! We were going to buy a RS 625 or 525 or a WB but we heard so many bad things about the stands it just seemed more practical to go custom.

We want this sump to be able to handle a 150g display.

@ReeferBlaine @MERKEY is another local reefer! Thought I would introduce you both, ReeferBlaine is thinking about adding an overflow and sump to his 50G lagoon tank. He'd be a great resource in helping build out your sump area. We've both been doing a little research for this type of project...

Here are some of my product recommendations based on what you've noted thus far... (with some assumptions that cost isn't an issue)
Trigger sump has multiple options for all the requirements, CWT would be my next choice.
eShopp has a lot of options for external overflows, skimmz would be my second choice.

Also can you post a picture of your tank/ the backside and where you plan on adding the sump?

The stand and tank are Marineland 75g bought at the big box store on one of their sales. I'll be reinforcing the cabinet and sump will be going directly underneath.

I appreciate the suggestions for sure!

I'm looking at a bashsea sump as it caught my eye as well as the eshopps hang on back.

Heres a messy pic of the tanks underneath where the sump will go. There will be a stand next to it for the apex and trident ect...the HOB overflow will be on the left side of the tank not on the back if possible.
Hey Merkey if I had mine to do all over. I'd double the amount of overflow back to my sump.
I'm getting ready to change out my return pumps to something with an app that I can fully control. I wouldn't go cheap on the return pump.
Good luck with new set up. I've been fine tuning mine since I set it up lol.
This is great info, I will be thinking a lot about this!

20200808_181103.jpg
The space does fit a 44" but does a 150g display need a 44" and wouldn't a 36" be just fine lol sump...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You have the list covered. Eshopps makes good external overflows

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions and tips!! We were going to buy a RS 625 or 525 or a WB but we heard so many bad things about the stands it just seemed more practical to go custom.

The stand and tank are Marineland 75g bought at the big box store on one of their sales. I'll be reinforcing the cabinet and sump will be going directly underneath.

I'm looking at a bashsea sump as it caught my eye as well as the eshopps hang on back.

Heres a messy pic of the tanks underneath where the sump will go. There will be a stand next to it for the apex and trident ect...the HOB overflow will be on the left side of the tank not on the back if possible.

20200808_181103.jpg
If I earned anything from initial setup.
You can get away with less return as long as you have more than adequate backflow. For me that means great return pump as mentioned. Capable of returning the 3-4 times turnover but running half as hard as it should because you have the water backflowing at twice the rate im returning. Seems to have settled things out for me now.

OP
OP
MERKEY

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have the list covered. Eshopps makes good external overflows
Thank you, your tank is so amazing, I appreciate the kind words!

If I earned anything from initial setup.
You can get away with less return as long as you have more than adequate backflow. For me that means great return pump as mentioned. Capable of returning the 3-4 times turnover but running half as hard as it should because you have the water backflowing at twice the rate im returning. Seems to have settled things out for me now.
Got it...which pump did you end up going with that has the app control?

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200808_181103.jpg
The space does fit a 44" but does a 150g display need a 44" and wouldn't a 36" be just fine lol sump...

Custom is the way to go... it allows for you to build the sump space that you want. RS and WB is limiting especially when you throw in your controls, power supplies, doser, reactors... etc. Not to mention storing things.

36" is fine... and should be more than enough. BASHSEA!!!! Didn't know we were heading into the deep waters. It is a great sump with all the space your need for gear. I would only recommend going with the bigger size to use for my frag overflow, extra live rock, bigger or extra fuge.

OP
OP
MERKEY

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Custom is the way to go... it allows for you to build the sump space that you want. RS and WB is limiting especially when you throw in your controls, power supplies, doser, reactors... etc. Not to mention storing things.

36" is fine... and should be more than enough. BASHSEA!!!! Didn't know we were heading into the deep waters. It is a great sump with all the space your need for gear. I would only recommend going with the bigger size to use for my frag overflow, extra live rock, bigger or extra fuge.
I figured its for the future tank and I don't want to have to buy another in a year lol

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured its for the future tank and I don't want to have to buy another in a year lol
Exactly!!!

I will say I do have a WB stand... it's not as bad as people say. The reality is if you don't clean up standing water on particle board of course it's going to fall apart. When the bigger tank comes in the future custom stand is being made ;)

Keep me posted @MERKEY excited to see what you end result is!

OP
OP
MERKEY

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Also thanks for the intro to another local reefer!! @ReeferBlaine good to meet you!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, your tank is so amazing, I appreciate the kind words!

Got it...which pump did you end up going with that has the app control?
I have not yet chosen the right one. I'm vicariously learning from your thread before I pull the trigger:)

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Camaro's pieces are insane....and the new ones he bought tonight will look really good!
Yeah guys I really went all out tonight. I sure hope those mystery boxes come in my favor too! I think I definitely won the most spent lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back