Advice, trying to maximize coverage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, trying to maximize the coverage with reefbreeders fixtures over my 120gal reef 2x2x4'. Currently running one 48" photon v2pro and I get great par over the center but I'm lacking along the sides and lower parts of my rockwork. I used to have good par when I ran a reefbreeders 32" photon v2+ down one side of my tank and 2 radion xr15s down the other side and never had an issue with shadows/low light areas.

So I've been looking at adding some light bard to the sides of my 48" v2pro to help even things out and get my par up towards the sides of the tank. It looks like the older reefbreeders bars are all out of stock and the new ones that are still in the "pre order" are pretty expensive. For light bars o would be shelling out another 750$.

My other option would be to get another 36" fixture to hang next to my 48" light. I would just bump my 48" light over and run the 36" on the side where my overflow takes up space in the back corner. This would actually cost slightly less then the new light bar combo.

Wishing I could just buy another reef nexus integration chip because I've already got a 36"v2+ but those seam to be discontinued. That would be the cheapest and easiest route to go. Programming my 2 fixtures to match with one on the app and the other manually won't work out so great im thinking.

What's going to be the best option. I feel like I'm going to be turning the fixtures intensity way down if I go with 2 v2pro fixtures but I'm also not sure the investment in the bars is going to be worth it.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. I would really like to stick with reefbreeders and have wireless control.

IMG_20240107_101906_231.jpg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about this but would still like to stick with leds. Buying bulbs is throwing money down the drain imo. These fixtures can easily make a decent return on investment eventually over changing out bulbs.
I hear you. I started with LED and now I’m in the process of converting to a hybrid system. Just love the combined look. Hopefully it’ll be good for my Coral too!

Mooses

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about this but would still like to stick with leds. Buying bulbs is throwing money down the drain imo. These fixtures can easily make a decent return on investment eventually over changing out bulbs.
Contrary imo.. you'll be buying a whole new LED fixture sooner or later when diodes burn out. At least with T5 you just replace a $60 bulb. Food for thought. Plus T5 will give you a huge blanket of light.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contrary imo.. you'll be buying a whole new LED fixture sooner or later when diodes burn out. At least with T5 you just replace a $60 bulb. Food for thought. Plus T5 will give you a huge blanket of light.
Not looking to debate going with t5s over the leds. If I had a canopy to hide them it would be a viable option but I'm not a fan of that look. I appreciate the suggestions.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, trying to maximize the coverage with reefbreeders fixtures over my 120gal reef 2x2x4'. Currently running one 48" photon v2pro and I get great par over the center but I'm lacking along the sides and lower parts of my rockwork. I used to have good par when I ran a reefbreeders 32" photon v2+ down one side of my tank and 2 radion xr15s down the other side and never had an issue with shadows/low light areas.

So I've been looking at adding some light bard to the sides of my 48" v2pro to help even things out and get my par up towards the sides of the tank. It looks like the older reefbreeders bars are all out of stock and the new ones that are still in the "pre order" are pretty expensive. For light bars o would be shelling out another 750$.

My other option would be to get another 36" fixture to hang next to my 48" light. I would just bump my 48" light over and run the 36" on the side where my overflow takes up space in the back corner. This would actually cost slightly less then the new light bar combo.

Wishing I could just buy another reef nexus integration chip because I've already got a 36"v2+ but those seam to be discontinued. That would be the cheapest and easiest route to go. Programming my 2 fixtures to match with one on the app and the other manually won't work out so great im thinking.

What's going to be the best option. I feel like I'm going to be turning the fixtures intensity way down if I go with 2 v2pro fixtures but I'm also not sure the investment in the bars is going to be worth it.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. I would really like to stick with reefbreeders and have wireless control.

IMG_20240107_101906_231.jpg
A second 48" or a 50"?
Full blanket!

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would either buy a 2nd one and run them next to one another. Another option if money isn’t an issue is remove the single long one and buy 3 of the 24” rb photons and run them the opposite direction to what you run now.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would either buy a 2nd one and run them next to one another. Another option if money isn’t an issue is remove the single long one and buy 3 of the 24” rb photons and run them the opposite direction to what you run now.
Only problem with that is I have a solid center brace

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A second 48" or a 50"?
Full blanket!
Would only need to put my 36" back on. The overflow takes up too much space in the back corner for anything bigger. I just need a nexus chip upgrade so my lights will sync up. This is looking like the best option if I can get the chip.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my fixture pretty high ill get an exact measurement for you when I'm back home. If I put 2 on I may lower them and reduce the intensity a ton just to help reduce light spill.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the ends of your 5-ft system as far as shadowing?
Tank does not have water yet so?
Should be fine as the light is only 5" from each end.
My structure for acros will be 48×22 in the tank so all light will be directly under the structure.
I am keeping 4" from glass to scape on all side.
I should be able to easily hit 300 par on the bottom at any area in the system with 2 50's.
I will map par, air only, and then when the systsm sees water in my build thread.
Take a look at this link.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back