Advice you've been given in this hobby

manaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most the layers are wide spread on a coral reef where fresh new water is constantly flowing over. The layer between the coral and column which is still apart of water column is called MBL. The bacteria and such you refer to is found closest to the coral the Mucus layer. This mucus layer doesnt just dissapear when you pull out of water or change the water. It stays to protect the coral. This also helps corals that are exposed to the air and sun out of water for hours at a time. Wouldnt make sense why they would still continue to thrive this way if waves and such while exposed would throw the layers off or the oceans constant flow.

If you are worried about bacteria and biology of your corals, then no dipping should be involved or any type of coral treatment as it kills those microbes and bacteria as well. Also dont point any flow at the coral or very very minimal, As high flow thins MBL layer. Thinnig the MBL allows for actual further growth allowing more elements in the column to reach the coral body.

These environments change throughout the day even from night to day due to oxygen depletion, exposure or turbulance to the mucus layer. Corals will also adapt to their environments.

So a coral farmer in some areas pump water from the ocean to their tanks and back out. The ocean constantly has new water over the corals. Our tanks compared to the ocean and these farms are stagnant and dont even come close to the diversity. In fact we kill most with treatments and UV.

So how does changing 100 percent of the tank water hurt a coral when the ocean is providing new water constantly?

The exception I have is you must do this with the same type of salt mix do to differences in brand and even type.
The microbiome of the coral mucus layer and boundary layer are understood as seperate ecosystems, the mechanisms of the holobiont differ from the MBL the bacteria have also been found meters away from coral in the wild so they are not exclusively within a thin layer and through genetic sequencing many many separate species havebeen identified that do not inhabit a corsls mucus layer, the point I was making is that not all beneficial bacteria are on the surface. I hear your rationale about dipping etc but the truth is no one really knows at this point. Also the design of a coral is such that it slows waterflow around it, why? Because ocean currents are fast and it needs to slow the water down, this allows a corals polyps to ingest DOM DOC and bacteria, so coral farmers may well change vast amounts of water but a coral colony would still retain its boundary layer due to fluid dynamics. Disruption to the boundary layer may not "harm" the coral as such, maybe its just not able to function at optimal, its simply as I outlined coral have evolved with this as a mechanism for life.

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The microbiome of the coral mucus layer and boundary layer are understood as seperate ecosystems, the mechanisms of the holobiont differ from the MBL the bacteria have also been found meters away from coral in the wild so they are not exclusively within a thin layer and through genetic sequencing many many separate species havebeen identified that do not inhabit a corsls mucus layer, the point I was making is that not all beneficial bacteria are on the surface. I hear your rationale about dipping etc but the truth is no one really knows at this point. Also the design of a coral is such that it slows waterflow around it, why? Because ocean currents are fast and it needs to slow the water down, this allows a corals polyps to ingest DOM DOC and bacteria, so coral farmers may well change vast amounts of water but a coral colony would still retain its boundary layer due to fluid dynamics. Disruption to the boundary layer may not "harm" the coral as such, maybe its just not able to function at optimal, its simply as I outlined coral have evolved with this as a mechanism for life.
Its definetly something a was reading and interesting. But agree our knowledge on how everything ties together. And agree they are not all but in our tanks those are the main concern. I dont dose and being pico and time. It has been easier over the years to replace all the water than to test and dose. Never had trilouble until I tried with a different mix on 2 occasions. Corals were ok. Fish not so much.

Can you provide links to any articles that are dumbed down lol. I can understand most but easier on my brain lol. Still interested in reading. Maybe pick up on something. Already have me learning about the layers more lol.

manaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its definetly something a was reading and interesting. But agree our knowledge on how everything ties together. And agree they are not all but in our tanks those are the main concern. I dont dose and being pico and time. It has been easier over the years to replace all the water than to test and dose. Never had trilouble until I tried with a different mix on 2 occasions. Corals were ok. Fish not so much.

Can you provide links to any articles that are dumbed down lol. I can understand most but easier on my brain lol. Still interested in reading. Maybe pick up on something. Already have me learning about the layers more lol.
Hi there was a large study completed on a pristine reef, Google coral boundary layer, microbiome, also do a search for pelagibacter SAR11. This bacteria lives in the water column and is extremely important to coral as a food source. Often corals can STN and have all kinds of problems if the population of pelagibactor is reduced.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take everything (advice) with a grain of salt...

Their tank is not your tank. What works for one may not work for another...
Think about the whole picture, not the details.
I was going to say this too!!! Lol

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there was a large study completed on a pristine reef, Google coral boundary layer, microbiome, also do a search for pelagibacter SAR11. This bacteria lives in the water column and is extremely important to coral as a food source. Often corals can STN and have all kinds of problems if the population of pelagibactor is reduced.
Some good reads but wasnt able to find anything on SAR11 and varients on coral health directly. I also did not see anything in regards to pelagibacter and STN. Most articles I read state where more turbulance and changes are better. That the SML is where the protective layer of microbials live. I do find it hard to believe the corolation as people run UV steralizers and all the chemicles and such done to treat the tanks and corals that anything last long in the water column, much less a food source.

But does bring an interesting question then of are our water to clear? And as you stated, is there a link between clearity which can mean low diversity in the water column and coral health.

If you could find the specific article I would appreciate it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back