Advice you've been given in this hobby

Calmwaters

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weirdest thing? Pouring vodka in my tank! Worked like a charm.

Alcohol Vodka GIF by BuzzFeed
Why would you put vodka in your tank?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you put vodka in your tank?
Do some research on vodka dosing.. it used to be the only carbon dose but today they have all sorts of options.. companies jumped on board and made all sorts of stuff and sugar and vinegar also feed the bacteria.

TheHunterYall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What advise were you given in this hobby that seemed odd but ended up being the best advice after all ??

For me looking way back, was to take things slow and do not chase numbers.
I think to not chase numbers you have to first chase numbers for awile.

Poseidon!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow and steady , also do your resources before you buy. And its okay to ask for help lol.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't panic and wait and see. Was very useful when 4 months ago my ich covered hypo tank looked very bad. No med, no catching it, just observed, and it is doing well today.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What advise were you given in this hobby that seemed odd but ended up being the best advice after all ??

For me looking way back, was to take things slow and do not chase numbers.
To trim the tops off my (established) slow growing acropora. Not only does it cause the coral to grow, but it also increases the amount of branches. I believe it was in a video, Abe from @Coral Euphoria. Thanks Abe!

manaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do 100 percent water changes as bacteria lives on surface area not water column. This has helped me a ton and changed my thinking on everything.aintenamce wise.
Well I'm going to throw you a curve ball now sorry, this isn't true, there is an area around corals, especially coral colonies called the boundary layer. This area is the most diverse microbial ecosystem on our planet. The inhabitants of the boundary layer have a direct impact on the health and well being of a coral. Corals can manipulate bacteria in this layer to such a degree that on release of certain hormones they can alter a bacteria at the gentetic level . Essentially coral farm these bacteria and other microbes to derive various benefits. This thin sliver of water between a corals mucus layer and the water column is part of the complex ecosystem. There will be a boundary layer even in captive reefs because corals have evolved this as a mechanism for life. So beneficial bacteria do not just live on surfaces in our systems. Many don't know this so hopefully after reading this you might also share it with others. Feel free to research this phenomenon yourself too, it's very well scientifically documented.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came from the late 80's and early 90's. Many ran an alk of 15-18, Albert Theil, from his book.
Someone in the late 90's told me they were running NSW levels of the big 3 and same for SG. Their tanks were better than mine, lol.
I have been in that camp since and see no reason to change.
So I keep mine now within these ranges.
The lower range being NSW or close.
Alk 7-7.5
Ca 420-450
Mag 1300-1400
Sg 1.026- 1.027

Ben's Pico Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm going to throw you a curve ball now sorry, this isn't true, there is an area around corals, especially coral colonies called the boundary layer. This area is the most diverse microbial ecosystem on our planet. The inhabitants of the boundary layer have a direct impact on the health and well being of a coral. Corals can manipulate bacteria in this layer to such a degree that on release of certain hormones they can alter a bacteria at the gentetic level . Essentially coral farm these bacteria and other microbes to derive various benefits. This thin sliver of water between a corals mucus layer and the water column is part of the complex ecosystem. There will be a boundary layer even in captive reefs because corals have evolved this as a mechanism for life. So beneficial bacteria do not just live on surfaces in our systems. Many don't know this so hopefully after reading this you might also share it with others. Feel free to research this phenomenon yourself too, it's very well scientifically documented.
Most the layers are wide spread on a coral reef where fresh new water is constantly flowing over. The layer between the coral and column which is still apart of water column is called MBL. The bacteria and such you refer to is found closest to the coral the Mucus layer. This mucus layer doesnt just dissapear when you pull out of water or change the water. It stays to protect the coral. This also helps corals that are exposed to the air and sun out of water for hours at a time. Wouldnt make sense why they would still continue to thrive this way if waves and such while exposed would throw the layers off or the oceans constant flow.

If you are worried about bacteria and biology of your corals, then no dipping should be involved or any type of coral treatment as it kills those microbes and bacteria as well. Also dont point any flow at the coral or very very minimal, As high flow thins MBL layer. Thinnig the MBL allows for actual further growth allowing more elements in the column to reach the coral body.

These environments change throughout the day even from night to day due to oxygen depletion, exposure or turbulance to the mucus layer. Corals will also adapt to their environments.

So a coral farmer in some areas pump water from the ocean to their tanks and back out. The ocean constantly has new water over the corals. Our tanks compared to the ocean and these farms are stagnant and dont even come close to the diversity. In fact we kill most with treatments and UV.

So how does changing 100 percent of the tank water hurt a coral when the ocean is providing new water constantly?

The exception I have is you must do this with the same type of salt mix do to differences in brand and even type.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back