• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Ae Tech ETSS 1400 Gemini Down Draft Skimmer

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MD70 as in Iwaki:
:)
MD_pumps.jpg

:)

You could probably do it with an appropriately sized Mag too though.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an amazing skimmer. Good luck with whatever you decide...

Koi Obsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need a minimum of an iwaki 70 rlt to run this skimmer. Japanese not American.. I have 5 of them and they work great as long as your willing to pay for the juice to run it. They always come apart at the seams. so much pressure driving these units.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mcarroll or nitrodude - I have a question for either (both of you)....two actually. First....there are two 1/2" elbows on the top of the down tubes. What attached to these? Air pump??

Second - I have both a Iwaki RLT 70 and 100 available. Which would be a better engine for this skimmer? Ideally I want the 100 RLT for a back up return as well. If there wouldn't be much performance difference between the two then I would use the 70 for the skimmer and keep the 100 as a back up for my return. If the 100 would perform much better for the skimmer then I can just have it so it would be easy to switch it out in case of emergency.

Weldon 16 worked like a champ and repaired the separated reaction tower. Also got the bioballs all cleaned up. Should be test running this bad boy in the next couple days.

Thanks for you help!

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those elbows are the air inlets. If it were me, I'd run a length of tube from them to outside to help raise PH and muffle the suction noise.
Can' answer on the pumps. No experience there

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you need a minimum of an iwaki 70 rlt to run this skimmer. Japanese not American.. I have 5 of them and they work great as long as your willing to pay for the juice to run it. They always come apart at the seams. so much pressure driving these units.
Would a 100 RLT make it perform better? I have both a 70 and 100 available.

Koi Obsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well as I have 4 etss currently running . If you have a dual down draft then go with the hundred it will drive both side perfectly. I run a 100 on my large skimmer but it's 6 feet tall. And the downdraft tunes are 2" each and my collection box is 20x20 15 tall collection tube for skim in 8" around and 40 " tall. That is a skimming Bit__.

Koi Obsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you have a gate valve on the exit side of the skimmer so you can set it. Set the water level at the top of the collection box not to far up tube as it will take a few days for the skimmer to fully kick in . Then when you make an adjustment only turn 1/4 turn at a time till it becomes set. Then never touch it again. If you feed the tank or put your hand in the water the oil from your hands or the oil from the food will cause the skimmer not to work for about 45 min to an hr . Then it will come back on line and seek it's old level as it was before.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much Koi Obsession. Very helpful information. The vote of confidence you give these units, by the fact you run four, gets me very excited to get this
Make sure you have a gate valve on the exit side of the skimmer so you can set it. Set the water level at the top of the collection box not to far up tube as it will take a few days for the skimmer to fully kick in . Then when you make an adjustment only turn 1/4 turn at a time till it becomes set. Then never touch it again. If you feed the tank or put your hand in the water the oil from your hands or the oil from the food will cause the skimmer not to work for about 45 min to an hr . Then it will come back on line and seek it's old level as it was before.
one going!

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get it hooked up? My favorite skimmers by a long shot. We had them on all of our clients tanks and on our store systems.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get it hooked up? My favorite skimmers by a long shot. We had them on all of our clients tanks and on our store systems.

I did a test run on a Mewhort closed system to make sure my repair was water right and the 100RLT I rebuilt was working. Everything checked out great! Still working on the build. Should have the entire system up in about three months.

Awesome to hear your praises for them. I am excited about it. Maybe if I have any questions once I have it going I can ask you.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right crew...i know it has been a long time coming, but I am finally to stage to get this skimmer hooked up. I ahem two questions...

1. To the towers need to be full of bio balls. Icleaned and put back the bio balls that came with it and the fill the times about half way. I can always get more if better.

2. IS this acrylic work on the top of the cup aftermarket DIY or factory made?

IMG_0364.JPG

Koi Obsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right crew...i know it has been a long time coming, but I am finally to stage to get this skimmer hooked up. I ahem two questions...

1. To the towers need to be full of bio balls. Icleaned and put back the bio balls that came with it and the fill the times about half way. I can always get more if better.

2. IS this acrylic work on the top of the cup aftermarket DIY or factory made?

IMG_0364.JPG
Okay so the skit the tubes themselves need to be about three-quarters of the way full and that clear acrylic pieces are aftermarket on that that don't belong there

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so the skit the tubes themselves need to be about three-quarters of the way full and that clear acrylic pieces are aftermarket on that that don't belong there
One last question for you (I think)....Does the skimmer discharge have to be higher than the sump to drain properly (or at least higher than the water level in the sump) or does it have enough pressure behind it to lift it?

Koi Obsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question for you (I think)....Does the skimmer discharge have to be higher than the sump to drain properly (or at least higher than the water level in the sump) or does it have enough pressure behind it to lift it?
Yes Atwater level or higher . Also if you don't like it and want to sell it let me know and I will buy it ⁰

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Atwater level or higher . Also if you don't like it and want to sell it let me know and I will buy it ⁰

Thanks for the information! I really want to use it but will have to see it is going into my basement with the sump. Ceiling is less than 6 ft and the sump is elevated on a layer of cinder blocks due to occasional flooding. Hopefully I can figure out a way to make it work or I might be throwing it out there for you to buy. Thanks!!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back