AEFW experiments and study

MattL22

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I know for me trying to find concrete proof that they r in a tank has been challenging sometimes

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll soon start running a hatch time experiment, been concentrating on finishing up the separate AEFW system. Lot of equipment to get and clean, stands to build, etc. Been fun :)

Is there any information on this as of yet, such as a start date? Its to bad that you could not have let the eggs "hatch" after the first test of how long they live without an host.

If you find an intact treatment and you will be a multi-billionaire

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any information on this as of yet, such as a start date? Its to bad that you could not have let the eggs "hatch" after the first test of how long they live without an host.

If you find an intact treatment and you will be a multi-billionaire

That's why I have almost 20% stake in it, LOL

OP
OP
tektite

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For some reason the AEFW didn't seem to want to lay eggs on the ziplock bag. Left them in there for days, no eggs. Weird because they had no problem laying eggs in the acrylic container I built for the first experiment. Finding out how long the new hatched live with no food will be one of the experiments Dr. Rawlinson and I will be performing.

Right now, I'm letting the AEFW population get up to decent numbers in the AEFW system, so we have enough for our experiments. Its a slow process since I didn't move all the acros over to the system all at once, to make sure they'd be OK in the new system. Should also be getting the funding soon, so I can get some more corals for them.

I also picked up a bunch of corals from a local guy who's been fighting them for months with no success. His kind of AEFW are ridiculously strong, when I first encountered them some months ago I was amazed at what they lived through. A concentrated Bayer dip that killed my AEFW only stunned his, when returned to clean saltwater they came back to life and started cruising around like nothing happened. Very excited to have his AEFW now, I can compare results between his and my current colony.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is key information IMO.

How long have you been watching them?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
tektite

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eggs are 5 days old now, will continue watching them to see when they hatch. The larvae are already defined and swimming around inside.

Genesis Corals

Genesis 1:21
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you know this answer, but how many eggs does one AEFW lay at a time? I know on my colonies that were effected there were patches of 10 to 50+ eggs in one spot, but since I had multiple AEFW on each coral, I wasn't sure if they laid their eggs together in groups. I am mostly interested because I went through several weeks of Bayer dips and want to know if I should be on the look out for just one egg or a patch of them. Maybe a question to add to the study.

OP
OP
tektite

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ranges depending on the size of the AEFW. I've seen a cluster of 2 eggs, and clusters of 10-15 eggs. The massive clusters are from separate AEFW laying eggs close to each other. The small AEFW can sneak eggs in ridiculously small areas since they don't lay many at one time.

Genesis Corals

Genesis 1:21
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ranges depending on the size of the AEFW. I've seen a cluster of 2 eggs, and clusters of 10-15 eggs. The massive clusters are from separate AEFW laying eggs close to each other. The small AEFW can sneak eggs in ridiculously small areas since they don't lay many at one time.

Thanks for the answer. I was just debating doing another round of bayer before gluing them down, but the corals were losing tissue after the last round, so I didn't want to have to unless needed. Now I am not sure, I was hoping you would say they always lay large groups of eggs, but I figured that would not be the case.

FF337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea on how long a tank should remain acro-less to disrupt the cycle?

Due to a power outage, I lost all of my acros and many other things. Rather than give up and sell everything, I am using the opportunity to revamp my puddle of water.

I am removing rocks and using a oscillating tool with a diamond bit to remove the dead corals.

OP
OP
tektite

tektite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't yet have a definitive answer, but so far from what I've seen and read 3 months is a good time to shoot for. 100% acro free, no tiny frags or small areas of encrusted coral left that could be food for a few AEFW.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back