AEFW intank treatment progress.

Hypnotize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

Me, some coworkers and friends have been working on a solution for our everlasting nemesis Acropora eating flatworm.

We started in late December and tested on and off whenever we had time.
At the start we tried the typical wormwood recipe that can be found here in the forum but it didn’t really do much so we I did a lot of research into parasites and read about everything I could find after a lot of trial and error we are at this point now.

It‘s a short timelapse of a acropora covered with adult and baby acropora flatworms. After adding the solution you can see the flatworm start to get agitated and start to crawl frantically all over, then one by one die and fall of from the acropora and get blown away from the flow.

Some interesting observations were that when I used a much lower dose that a few adults didn’t die but still fell of from the acropora. Even though they survived they never went back to the acropora (even after a week) which makes me believe that the treatment still had some kind of effect on them and their feeding response.

I have witnessed the same with adult Euphyllia eating flatworms, they didn’t die but also never went back on a Euphyllia.

Sofar I have not seen a negative effect on fish, snails, hermit crabs, crabs and small inverts like pods.
The only inverts that seem to have problems with the treatment as of now are shrimps.

My plan if this continues to work as intended would be a single does once a week. The first dose to kill the flatworms and then maybe 4-5 doses to kill the flatworms that newly hatched.

All the ingredients are 100% natural.

Next I’ll test how low I can go with the dosage because I would hope to somehow make it work with shrimps aswell.

What do you guys think?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

Me, some coworkers and friends have been working on a solution for our everlasting nemesis Acropora eating flatworm.

We started in late December and tested on and off whenever we had time.
At the start we tried the typical wormwood recipe that can be found here in the forum but it didn’t really do much so we I did a lot of research into parasites and read about everything I could find after a lot of trial and error we are at this point now.

It‘s a short timelapse of a acropora covered with adult and baby acropora flatworms. After adding the solution you can see the flatworm start to get agitated and start to crawl frantically all over, then one by one die and fall of from the acropora and get blown away from the flow.

Some interesting observations were that when I used a much lower dose that a few adults didn’t die but still fell of from the acropora. Even though they survived they never went back to the acropora (even after a week) which makes me believe that the treatment still had some kind of effect on them and their feeding response.

I have witnessed the same with adult Euphyllia eating flatworms, they didn’t die but also never went back on a Euphyllia.

Sofar I have not seen a negative effect on fish, snails, hermit crabs, crabs and small inverts like pods.
The only inverts that seem to have problems with the treatment as of now are shrimps.

My plan if this continues to work as intended would be a single does once a week. The first dose to kill the flatworms and then maybe 4-5 doses to kill the flatworms that newly hatched.

All the ingredients are 100% natural.

Next I’ll test how low I can go with the dosage because I would hope to somehow make it work with shrimps aswell.

What do you guys think?
That sounds great.
Let's us know how the process goes and how much per gallon...

OP
OP
Hypnotize

Hypnotize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eggs are what breaks the cycle. Have you been able to find any clusters and see if they still hatch? Curious what ingredients you’re using and dosages, too.
Yes they still hatch but it takes them weeks from a baby to a mature adult to reproduce so when dosing once a week for 5-6 weeks there shouldn’t be anymore.

AlexandraDreadlocksPanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AEFW is not an everlasting nemesis… it’s relatively easy to beat….
•drop tank temp to 24c
•Use Fauna Marin’s AEFW-X at TWICE dosage (they do say on the label that it’s OK to do this), don’t expect instant results, and don’t give up. It’s not cheap but it works…
•Do the drain & spray KCl treatment method a minimum of 3 times, with 2 weeks apart. This will not upset your corals in the slightest.
•Add natural predators, for me Iridis wrasse, Springeri damsels and pink streak wrasse all helped and are constantly cruising corals.

DON’T be tempted to blast the corals with Turkey baster or power head… you want to keep the AEFW’s in place so you can kill them with the spray.

I am completely clear of AEFW’s after being rigorous with the above method….

nico753

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any news regarding the product?
if you need some more testers...^^

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back