AEFW wont die

Yerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
/rant
Still fighting these darn things. Thought i had them whooped but they came back. THEY JUST WONT GO AWAY!
/end rant

Please refrain from using symbols to represent curse words or replace letters in curse words - especially in thread titles ;) Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gave up, kinda started to like the aptasia , found out they don't like green hairy mushrooms, started moveing a rock full of them around, and watch em duke it out,

OP
OP
Yerboy

Yerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
/rant
Still fighting these darn things. Thought i had them whooped but they came back. THEY JUST WONT GO AWAY!
/end rant

Please refrain from using symbols to represent curse words or replace letters in curse words - especially in thread titles ;) Thank you!

sorry for using symbols, honestly i didn't use them to replace any curse words but just just present my frustration. Btw i don't have an Aptaisia problem i have an AEFW problem, thanks for the edit but you got it wrong.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for using symbols, honestly i didn't use them to replace any curse words but just just present my frustration. Btw i don't have an Aptaisia problem i have an AEFW problem, thanks for the edit but you got it wrong.

I understand the frustration - sorry about the incorrect edit - I was going off the second post, since I couldn't tell from the original what you were upset by. I'll fix it now. Just out of curiosity AEFW = ?

*edit* never mind, I see its already fixed. Again sorry for the confusion.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AEFW = acro eating flat worm

I am sorry that they are coming back. Are you dipping all your acro and putting them in a quarantine tank for observation and to starve out the flatworms in the main tank? Are you keeping any wrasse to help you out?

OP
OP
Yerboy

Yerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had everything in QT for 8 weeks with bi weekly dips, i have a mystery wrasse but i don't know that it's helping anything. before i moved everything back into the main system i dipped and cut the base off of everything as to not reintroduce any eggs. Guess i missed some.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry that you are having a rough time with AEFW. Are you using TMPCC or ReVive for dipping?

i dipped and cut the base off of everything as to not reintroduce any eggs. Guess i missed some.

That is very scary... Someone said that AEFW actually lays its eggs under the flesh of acropora. The toxins in the eggs eventually dissolve the flesh and the eggs become exposed. I don't know if it is true, but if it is so, we must look for the hint of eggs really carefully.

I added a sixline and yellow coris wrasses in my system just in case after seeing my old CoralRX is no longer working on some critters. I was very surprised to find a creature that resemble fruit fly maggot still swimming in the dip solution which I forgot to dispose of until the next morning after a frag swap. I figure my CoralRX (a few years old) lost its efficacy and replaced it with ReVive (which I suspect is pretty much the same stuff).

I hope you will win the battle in the next few weeks. Hang in there.

OP
OP
Yerboy

Yerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using coralrx for 10-15 mins. Now im using a 50/50 H2o2/tank water for 30 seconds or so. The flatworms come off in this solution within a few seconds. Not sure how well the corals are going to take this kind of dip as they loose color almost instantly. Kinda of like a last ditch effort before i just throw them all in the trash and let the AEFW starve to death in the tank for 3-4 months before i reintroduce any sps. I honestly think the eggs have gotten onto my rock work.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2O2 treatment sounds quite harsh.... I saw quite a few coris and other wrasses (including yellow and green which are known to eat AEFW as well) today at CRA.

OP
OP
Yerboy

Yerboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far everything i dipped seems to be doing pretty good. i was worred at first but it looks like there going to make it. I may dip again tomorrow and see what i come up with.
Almost everything i have is removable so i may go back to a bi weekly dip of everything for the next 12+15 weeks.

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried getting a melanarus wrasse? They are an awesome sps fish.

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CRA had a young one today. Do you know if it gets along with other wrasses like coris wrasse? It looked so pretty. I was thinking about getting it if it can get along with my yellow coris and sixline wrasses.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanarus and it does a great job. That guy is always on the hunt in the rocks. Kinda reminds me of a mandarin. I would like to know if he plays well with other wrasses as well. I really like the yellow coris and would like to add one

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CRA had a young one today. Do you know if it gets along with other wrasses like coris wrasse? It looked so pretty. I was thinking about getting it if it can get along with my yellow coris and sixline wrasses.

They should. I have a mystery wrasse and clown wrasse with it and it sometimes picks at them but overall leaves them alone. More mild mannered wrasses did not seem to do as well like my mcosker flasher wrasse but his pest control duty makes him well worth it!

I have a melanarus and it does a great job. That guy is always on the hunt in the rocks. Kinda reminds me of a mandarin. I would like to know if he plays well with other wrasses as well. I really like the yellow coris and would like to add one

They do a great job I agree. He is constantly on the hunt and makes the rounds. Good comparison. I have a mandarin who hunts and pecks and the melanarus does this as well. They are also a beautiful fish.

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the melanarus and yellow coris as well as the six line don't get along very well. I'm gonna give it a couple of more days and see if they will work it out if not then I am going to pull the sixline and coris and put them in my wifes tank....

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they will work it out. My yellow coris and sixline get along just fine. The sixline often swoop at my mandarin gobies or anyone who hunts for the same (invisible) food. He is a billigerent little guy. Much worse than my yellow tail damsel. On the other hand, my yellow coris wrasse is quite a gregarious fish.

By the way, Dave, how do you catch fish out of your big tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back