AF Hybrid Salt Cloudy Water

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Got a dilemma here, I started cycling my IM15 two weeks ago with AF Hybrid Salt, first couple days tank was clear but became cloudy. It has cleared up some over the last couple weeks but still is cloudy. Just wondering how I should tackle this. My thought is to start doing small water changes with NYOS salt as I don't think I want to mess with the Hybrid salt anymore. I cycled with TurboStart 900, PNS Substrate Sauce, NitroCycle and I have 6ish Maxspect Nano spheres. My parameters are 0 Ammonia and 5 Nitrates.

Screenshot 2023-10-25 082141.png

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I'd just keep the light off and let her run for another couple of weeks and see what it does. If after the next couple of weeks it doesn't clear up then I'd think about doing small water changes. If you got some leftover salt, I'll take it off your hands!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Got a dilemma here, I started cycling my IM15 two weeks ago with AF Hybrid Salt, first couple days tank was clear but became cloudy. It has cleared up some over the last couple weeks but still is cloudy. Just wondering how I should tackle this. My thought is to start doing small water changes with NYOS salt as I don't think I want to mess with the Hybrid salt anymore. I cycled with TurboStart 900, PNS Substrate Sauce, NitroCycle and I have 6ish Maxspect Nano spheres. My parameters are 0 Ammonia and 5 Nitrates.

I'm not sure I understand why you are using the Hybrid Salt and then adding other additives.

The salt includes bacteria cultures so what you are seeing is a bacterial bloom while the bacteria are battling it out.

Leave it alone for a couple of weeks and stop adding other stuff.

It'll clear up on it's own.

I definitely would not mess around by switching salts.

OP
OP
RoanokeReef

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I'd just keep the light off and let her run for another couple of weeks and see what it does. If after the next couple of weeks it doesn't clear up then I'd think about doing small water changes. If you got some leftover salt, I'll take it off your hands!
Yea that was my plan, I needed to order salt anyways but Ill check and see how much I have left, it was the smaller "bucket" so I used a bit. Appreciate the advice.
I'm not sure I understand why you are using the Hybrid Salt and then adding other additives.

The salt includes bacteria cultures so what you are seeing is a bacterial bloom while the bacteria are battling it out.

Leave it alone for a couple of weeks and stop adding other stuff.

It'll clear up on it's own.

I definitely would not mess around by switching salts.
I was under the assumption I needed to still add Fitz ect to start the cycle. It was a one time thing on day one, I haven't dosed anything since and Sunday will be the 3 week mark. Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salt world is so crazy. I couldn't make up my mind so I went with ol reliable, reef crystals lol. Have you tried rpm? It's what alien aquatics uses and haven't asked anyone about it but considering trying it out

OP
OP
RoanokeReef

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salt world is so crazy. I couldn't make up my mind so I went with ol reliable, reef crystals lol. Have you tried rpm? It's what alien aquatics uses and haven't asked anyone about it but considering trying it out
I haven't, my old 150 I always used Tropic Marin. I need to make it over to Alien, haven't been there yet.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is any truth to stability, then it shouldn't matter what salt you use as long as it mixes the same each time. I had concerns about settling so I went with Accurasea 1 and am happy with it.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't, my old 150 I always used Tropic Marin. I need to make it over to Alien, haven't been there yet.
Good store and theyre about to expand in their little strip mall. Got a little bit of fresh stuff too, but they're apart of the brs group so they can help order stuff and whatnot, have you been to that ultimate aquariums by Daleville? Haven't been to that one yet but definitely pet and aquatic warehouse in Lynchburg. Theyre pretty big

taj0930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bacteria bloom. Either leave it & wait, or get a UV. AA aquarium green killing machine 9w. $60, works like a charm.
You never added an ammonia source? Bacteria need food.

OP
OP
RoanokeReef

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria bloom. Either leave it & wait, or get a UV. AA aquarium green killing machine 9w. $60, works like a charm.
You never added an ammonia source? Bacteria need food.
Nitrocycle takes place of the ammonia source in the Algeabarn kit. Green Killing Machine cleared it right up over the weekend.

Screenshot 2023-10-30 070728.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back