Affect wrong size flow restrictor has on TDS after RO membrane.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I guess I never bothered to look up a chart before. Nobody around here has water softeners, so I just assumed our water was already considered on the softer side... our water report says our water total hardness has a range of 70 to 110.

I don't think I'm going to mess with my restrictor. I'm happy with how my unit runs for the most part. I get 0 tds out of the membrane in winter and 1 or 2 tds out during the summer months, uses very little DI, and waste water is 2.5:1, which isn't bad, so I'm happy.
If anything, I'm going to be adding a booster pump at some point as my pressure does dip below 60 psi occasionally. I think boosting my pressure to 80 all the time would benefit me the most.
And if you configure your system so the pump is after the clear prefilter housings... crank it up to 90 psi and install the proper flow restrictor.

Last edited:

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water is 280 TDS, I am on city water, how do you, pretreatment (softening) a system? Thanks in advance.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water is 280 TDS, I am on city water, how do you, pretreatment (softening) a system? Thanks in advance.
If you don't want a whole house water softener (for pretreatment) you can get a small water softener for the RO/DI system. The one I have is made for specialty coffee makers.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back